Which of the three Grade A OSs to use?

Wow. Really, man?

The Centos Stream is downloadable as ISO:
https://www.centos.org/centos-stream/

http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/8-stream/isos/x86_64/

but
I dont find any obvious explanation as to the diff between stream and linux editions… this may be helpful: Contribute/CentOSStream - CentOS Wiki but I really don’t know for sure.

Just that I will probably not use it.

And as such, there is no option to choose minimal or full installation. Hence the question.

If you don’t know if they’re provisioned as a minimal or full install can you stop spamming the thread. :slight_smile:

And that was my point that for some strange reason you keep ignoring: It doesn’t matter if you have a choice or not. If you’re going to be installing Virtualmin, they recommend you do the minimal install. Period.

So if all you have is the minimal install, you’re good to go. There’s no need to look for anything else.

Read that about 5 times and see if any of it sinks in.

Edit to add: You have options on Ubuntu during your install to add additional features. DO NOT add additional features. Just use the image they give you and don’t add anything additional to it. Virtualmin will add whatever you need.

Found the screen shot. Here it is:

This is in every Ubuntu installer. Most people love to click everything and install it all because they think more is better.

It isn’t. Don’t install anything from this screen. Virtualmin will install anything you need when you run the installer script from them found here.

shakes head…

Debian of course.

That’s exactly how I installed it. Yesterday.

I really don’t get what @1cloud is after.

1 Like

Using these: https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com

While there is a minimal image available, it’s not in the correct format for all clouds to initialise.

For example:

The virtual disks are about 500MB, how minimal does that sound?

I’ve been playing around with AlmaLinux recently, with the occasional quirk, but overall optimistic results. This is my current state of experimentation as of about an hour ago.

I never change nor major-version update OS’s without extensive testing (probably more than is needed) unless it’s an emergency sort of thing. I’m updating the results of this particular round of tests because I assume that some people may be interested, and the rest can look at the title and skip those threads.

You can read more about AlmaLinux here if you’re interested. It’s a project that Igor Seletskiy and his CloudLinux company are sponsoring. It’s in RC right now and is expected to be ready for production use in a few weeks.

Richard

Since the ISO download from Ubuntu is 1.1 GB, sounds pretty minimal.

Or not.

Or maybe.

Or who knows?

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ll go and ask a few questions on a forum somewhere, perhaps someone might know. :ok_hand:

Would be helpful if I could find a thread related to OS’s to use for Virtualmin too, any ideas on that?

Why you are being so completely, intentionally, and frustratingly obtuse is anybody’s guess. If I had to venture a guess myself, I’d say you’re just trying to sound smart when you really have no idea what you’re talking about.

There is only one Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS installer. I don’t care where you get it, how big the file size/disk image/whatever you want to call it is.

There is only one.

Run it.

DO NOT add any additional software options during the installation which is on the screen shot I posted before.

Then you will be running the base, bare bones Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS software.

I can’t explain it any more simply than that.

Good luck in your search for whatever it is you’re looking for that I’m sure doesn’t exist.

I’m guessing this isn’t the right place to start asking about cloud-init then?

https://cloud-init.io

Probably not.

You need to start with a minimal installation. How it got on the machine is irrelevant. But in the time you’ve spent on this thread, you could have installed from ISO several times over.

Unless your host doesn’t allow that, of course, in which case I personally would find a new host. But to each their own, I guess.

Richard

1 Like

I’ve already found a solution, will leave you boyz to it, hopefully you don’t get your ISO’s stuck together.

For anyone that’s interested the default Canonical cloud images appear to be minimal server installs.

1 Like

Made an ESXi > Debian. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.