OS type and version CENTOS7
Webmin version 1.993
Virtualmin version 7.1 Pro
Related packages SUGGESTED

uninstalling

Removing nameserver 127.0.0.1 from /etc/resolv.conf
Removing virtualmin repo configuration
Removing virtualmin-release [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Removing /etc/virtualmin-license, if it exists.
Done. There’s probably quite a bit of related packages and such left behind
but all of the Virtualmin-specific packages have been removed.
[root@server ~]# server webmin restart
-bash: server: command not found
[root@server ~]# sudo /etc/init.d/webmin restart
sudo: /etc/init.d/webmin: command not found
[root@server ~]# sudo /etc/webmin/restart
sudo: /etc/webmin/restart: command not found
[root@server ~]# systemctl restart webmin.service
Failed to restart webmin.service: Unit not found.
[root@server ~]# systemctl restart webmin
[root@server ~]# service webmin start
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start webmin.service
Failed to start webmin.service: Unit not found.
[root@server ~]# service webmin status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status webmin.service
● webmin.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2022-06-04 18:20:26 UTC; 7min ago
Main PID: 22545 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 03 16:18:50 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Starting Webmin server daemon…
Jun 03 16:18:50 server.mydomain.com .start-init[22544]: Starting Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin
Jun 03 16:18:50 server.mydomain.com webmin[22544]: Webmin starting
Jun 03 16:18:50 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Can’t open PID file /var/webmin/miniserv.pid (yet?) after st…tory
Jun 03 16:18:50 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Started Webmin server daemon.
Jun 04 18:20:26 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Stopping webmin.service…
Jun 04 18:20:26 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: webmin.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun 04 18:20:26 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Stopped webmin.service.
Jun 04 18:20:26 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Unit webmin.service entered failed state.
Jun 04 18:20:26 server.mydomain.com systemd[1]: webmin.service failed.
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
[root@server ~]# systemctl restart webmin.service
[root@server ~]# systemctl start webmin.service
Failed to start webmin.service: Unit not found.

:frowning:

then i reboot server

after reboot.
Unit webmin.service could not be found.
Unit webmin.service could not be found.

I decide to reinstall the whole server.

I don’t understand what you expected to happen here?

The description of the --uninstall option is:

removes all Virtualmin packages (do not use on a production system)

And when you run the Virtualmin --uninstall it says the following:

WARNING

This operation is very destructive. It removes nearly all of the packages
  installed by the Virtualmin installer. Never run this on a production system.

And, waits for you to confirm that you want to perform this “very destructive” operation.

I don’t understand how you could expect this to leave any of our packages installed?

it is my testing server.

i didn’t uninstall

why webmin will disconnected ?

Well, that’s a relief!

You very clearly ran install.sh --uninstall, though?

Webmin is one of our packages. It gets removed when you use the --uninstall flag in the Virtualmin install script. Did you not expect uninstalling to remove Webmin? I don’t understand though…Webmin is a core part of Virtualmin. It’s one of the many packages the installer installs, so it is also one of the many packages that it uninstalls when you tell it to uninstall.

because it is my testing server, so i can easily reinstall the whole server.

i don’t have the ability to find out why that i just uninstall virtualmin, and webmin was affected.

In this situation, I have not prepare use it in my production server.

I really want to know why, or if i didn’t anything wrong from the uninstall action ?

You can see here the full list of packages --uninstall removes (again, very destructive!):

ok, I will note it

as i install 2 program separately,

in my concept, i can uninstall one and keep another one

so i know it now.

You didn’t do anything wrong if you wanted to remove all of our packages. You did something wrong, if you wanted Webmin to remain. Though I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish if that’s the case.

If you want to install Virtualmin you should not preinstall anything, including Webmin. Webmin is installed and configured as part of the Virtualmin installation. You should not do any installation of packages before installing Virtualmin. The Virtualmin installer needs a freshly installed, supported, operating system, as documented on our download page. Virtualmin can be very simple to install and get working, if you don’t make it complicated.

You can do that, but you should not.

If you aren’t managing websites, and just want Webmin, there’s no problem installing it by itself.

If you want Virtualmin, you should not install anything first (including Webmin). Our installer installs the full stack (LAMP or LEMP), Webmin, various Virtualmin modules, and some other packages, and configures them for reasonable use in a shared virtual hosting environment.

The install script always assumes you are running it on a freshly installed OS. It cannot reliably work if your system is not a freshly installed OS, as we can’t test every possible combination of packages and configurations you might have done before running it, if it is not freshly installed.

And, the --uninstall mode is intended to wipe every trace of what the install script installed off of the system. That includes removing Webmin (because the install script installs Webmin).

Sorry,

There are still have user-friendly problem to me, so I will wait for next time.

I will not run the pre-install program such as :
yum -y install perl perl-Net-SSLeay openssl perl-IO-Tty perl-Encode-Detect

:slight_smile:

It is good that you guy reply fast.

Don’t preinstall anything! Just follow the instructions on our download page. I think they are very clear? Downloading and Installing Virtualmin – Virtualmin

Specifically:

Do not pre-install or pre-configure any additional packages on your OS. The installer expects a freshly installed, supported, OS, and anything you do differently may cause conflicts or configuration errors. If you will be enabling third-party package repositories, do so after installation of Virtualmin, and only with extreme caution.

I’ve pointed that out to him twice already. I even posted the instructions you linked on one of his other threads.

ok got it , it is user problem , because install some basic tools needed and make the whole system not user-friendly and all the problem
:stuck_out_tongue:

Please I am doing business too, let us find out how to make the program to be better.

as we say , some issue are not predictable and some should be predictable, even it is happen, focus on the issue,

every question or issue is trying to make virtualmin to be more prefect, of course you can test the system by yourself, or with your technical angle.

end-user ( my customer ) won’t use this program, so I will be the user to virtualmin, and I have little technique and little logic and analyze all the program and working flow,

if it is not stable, and user-friendly, I will just stay at testing level , even just paid first month, because it can help me to manage the server in stable and how can i upload the project to the server for my customer.

please use the business angle, think of it

oh I found the layout is similar to cy***panel too.

I would like to paid , please, but for special support or some unpredictable issue not general flow…

my final words, i hope virtualmin can growth faster and at least there is one more choice in market.

That is correct. You keep adding things and configuring things and mixing and matching things when all you have to do is two simple line commands.

It’s not hard. At all. From a completely empty system it takes less than 30 minutes at most. You’re making things hard when they don’t have to be.

Once more:

Install your OS. INSTALL THE MINIMUM INSTALL. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING AT ALL. DO NOT CONFIGURE ANYTHING AT ALL.

Then at the command line type:
$ wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

Then type:
$ sudo /bin/sh install.sh

That’s it. That’s all you need to do. When that is done it will automatically take you through the POST INSTALL WIZARD. That is where you will configure your system.

It is literally just that easy.

Then why on earth would you buy the PRO version? The number one reason to do that is to use reseller accounts, where the customer will use a Virtualmin panel that you set up for them to access in the same way they would use a CPanel panel if they got hosting from GoDaddy.

I don’t think you understand what Virtualmin is actually used for. At all.

1 Like

Why are you talking folks out of sending a little money our way? We don’t ask for much, but c’mon.

The Pro version has a number of additional features over GPL, and the Pro version is what funds the existence of the GPL version. Without some sales, we literally cannot keep doing this (I already have been subsidizing Virtualmin out of my paycheck from my other job to keep Ilia and Eric paid for the past several months, this is unsustainable). Even if you don’t need all of the features or Pro, we appreciate folks who buy in order to get some extra support.

2 Likes