Virtualmin Install ERROR on Centos 7

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Centos 7
Webmin version Current
Virtualmin version Current
Related packages Install New

Trying to install Virtualmin like I have done many times before. Using Centos 7 - get this Error even though I have a fully qualified domain name
Error: Failed to download utility function library. Cannot continue. Check your network connection and DNS settings.

Is it still compatable with Cetnos 7?

It tells you what to do:

Yes, the installer is compatible with CentOS 7, but you absolutely should not be installing on such an old distribution. Don’t start eight years behind. CentOS 7 will be EOL in less than two years.

If you like CentOS, choose Rocky 8 or Alma 8 or RHEL 8 (9 is supported, but much less well-tested at the moment).

I was able to connect to the centos repositories… The network is fine unless there is a conflict with the fqdn http://imatrdev2.hostnode.ca/
I was using Cetnos 8 but as if yesterday Virtualmin is pooched - starts dropping connection after I deleted a virtual server only one of six virtual servers - Lets Encrypt tab gone. File Manager gone. Cannot update virtual server, apache stopped working - have to abandon and start over with a new OS… so thought I would go back to Centos 7 as it was always stable for me. BTW I didn’t fiddle at all with anything - just removed a virtual server through the Delete Virtual Server interface.

Can your server ping software.virtualmin.com? I will assume not, since that’s where the utility library comes from.

And, please don’t change the subject. If you want to ask about problems with your other server, please start a new topic. (Forum Guidelines: Please read before posting!)

64 bytes from 254-162-172-163.instances.scw.cloud (163.172.162.254): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=88.6 ms
64 bytes from 254-162-172-163.instances.scw.cloud (163.172.162.254): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=88.9 ms
64 bytes from 254-162-172-163.instances.scw.cloud (163.172.162.254): icmp_seq=3 ttl=47 time=88.7 ms

Running Virtualmin 7 pre-installation setup:
  Syncing system time ..
  .. done
  Updating CA certificates ..
  .. done
Error: Failed to download utility function library. Cannot continue. Check your network connection and DNS settings.
sorry about the other rant - long night

Try this:

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/lib/slib.sh

Does that succeed or fail? If it fails, what’s the error?

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 23165 (23K) [application/x-sh]
Saving to: ‘slib.sh’

100%[======================================>] 23,165      --.-K/s   in 0.08s

2022-10-20 00:21:45 (275 KB/s) - ‘slib.sh’ saved [23165/23165]

I do have to add --no-check-certificate
otherwise it fails

ERROR: cannot verify software.virtualmin.com's certificate, issued by ‘/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3’:
  Issued certificate has expired.
1 Like

You need to update (yum update). That means you have an very old ca-certificates package.

But, again, you really should reconsider installing on CentOS 7. It is 8 years old, and will reach end of life in less than two years. Every package in CentOS 7 is ancient.

1 Like

What OS do you recomend ? I will try Rocky 8.

Rocky 8 is what I use. Alma and RHEL are also good choices for users that previously chose CentOS.

All went well with Rocky 8. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.