Ubuntu LTS 22.04 (MariaDB vs MySQL)

It’s very close to being done.

I’d be surprised if it won’t be in beta before next week. But, we cannot pre-announce, because my estimates are always wrong…we always find new things to break, and I always seem to find less spare time to work on it than planned. But, we’ve simplified the way we publish things to the repos dramatically on the belief that Ubuntu has calmed down and will no longer do crazy dramatic and weird changes between versions (they’ve been pretty stable since 16.04 or 18.04, depending on what components you include, whereas before that it was absolutely bonkers every new LTS release), which I think will make these last few bit of work go faster, and will make future new distro version support much easier and faster for us (but if Ubuntu gets erratic again, which I cannot rule out, we’ll have to rethink things again).

1 Like

Thanks Joe for the heads up. I can wholly appreciate the Ubuntu crazy change issue. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I guess all I can do is hope that it comes together. Best luck on it.

This is like putting on a pot of water to boil and watching it.

Isn’t it exciting? :wink:
My brand new server is sitting there and waiting - and soon he will get a fresh new Virtualmin. :innocent:

1 Like

BTW, is the installer script updated simultanously? Will we able to quickly install Virtualmin 7 (beta) on an Ubuntu 22.04 with the install script as soon as it’s available?

2 Likes

You should be right to set up Virtualmin on Ubuntu 20.04 and then upgrade the OS in a week or so? Ideally avoid setting up any databases and set up everything else… most of the work in setting up a new VPS seems to be in the settings of other things like NGINX (or Apache), PHP, SMTP relay, OpenSSL etc. But really you shouldn’t have much trouble with the databases on a new server once you upgrade to 22.04 - I think that’s unlikely, and regardless just make sure you have a database backup.

The issue is that I need MariaDB not MySQL.

MariaDB is default on VM.

Actually stefan1959 on a new install of Ubuntu 20.04 it is MySQL.

1 Like

Hi Stefan, I can confirm that on debian it comes as default (mariadb) as drop replacement for mysql… I though its same everywhere, perhaps ubuntu have done some yet again stupid modification… but you right mariadb is default by linux dristro (not just VM).

1 Like

Unfortunately not for Ubuntu. It will be across the board in Virtualmin 7.

But, I’ve covered how to switch without pain a few times. (Install Virtualmin but don’t run post-install wizard, install mariadb, then run the post-install wizard.)

1 Like

Thanks Joe. I really appreciate your help.

There was a bug in Virtualmin when I installed it, but it’s not a major problem:

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
sudo /bin/sh install.sh -b LEMP
sudo systemctl stop mysql
sudo apt purge mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common mysql-server-core-* mysql-client-core-*
sudo rm -Rf /etc/mysql /var/lib/mysql /var/log/mysql
sudo apt autoremove
echo "/usr/sbin/mysqld { }" > /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld
apparmor_parser -v -R /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld
sudo apt install mariadb-server

You need the echo line as cited above or mariaDB won’t install (when I did it anyway).

This issue will hopefully be already fixed, when the 22.04 LTS version will be released. :wink:

2 Likes

I believe you can already install VM on v. 20.04 and then upgrade to 22.04 and re-check configuration. Then go to package repositories and then:

virtualmin-universal/main http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/7/gpl/apt
virtualmin-jammy/main     http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/7/gpl/apt

While we’re on this subject - why does my Virtualmin (version 7.1-1) still have this package url? http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt is it safe for me to change it?

But that’s not the point. The point is they’re going to make MyriaDB the default database server in Virtualmin 7. That’s why people like me are waiting for the new Virtualmin 7 installer.

Well you could have replied to the question in this topic instead.

It’s confusing because:

It doesn’t report to me “Virtualmin virtual-server module version 7.1”.

Anyway if I understand you correctly - once the stable release of the version 7 installer is released I can us it running --setup to upgrade?

You can install MariaDB fine as it is. From everything I’ve read it’s not uBuntu that’s buggy it’s the RHEL-like distros holding up the v7 release.

Again, you’re not reading.

Those of us that already have Ubuntu servers and have for some time that are running MySQL as that has been the default for years are simply waiting for the new installer so that we can do a fresh install of 22.04 with the new Virtualmin installer and then migrate over without having to do it all piece meal.

It’s not rocket science to understand that we don’t want to go your route and Swiss Army Knife the hell out of our servers.

You’ve already made it abundantly clear on other threads that you don’t understand that the Virtualmin 7.1 that’s out now is NOT an installer. It is NOT what you think it is.