Can I install another webmin on same server?

The tutorial you linked, if that’s the one you actually followed, already used the install script. So, you’ve disable the Virtualmin repositories since then. I don’t know why.

Don’t go reinstalling!

Everybody, stop telling someone with a production system to reinstall Virtualmin on top of it! That will be disruptive and possibly destructive! The install does not expect to run on an already production system.

@mesh if all that is missing is the Virtualmin repos, you can set them up again with:

sudo /bin/sh install.sh --setup

That only sets up repos. Nothing else. It will not mess with your existing system.

Also, please pay attention to what you’re doing…maybe keep some notes? It makes no sense that you don’t seem to know how you installed or how/when you removed the Virtualmin repo configuration. Those are things you should be paying attention to.

Alright sir but this command sudo /bin/sh install.sh --setup returns error as seen below

Run it in a real interactive terminal.

The Webmin popup command shell is non-interactive.

i.e. login with Putty or git bash or bash or whatever real terminal your OS has.

Argh, wait nevermind. It actually would have worked, but this is not a supported OS?

I’m sorry, I’m confused. Was this CentOS converted to Alma or Rocky, I guess?

OK, stop this.

Let’s back track. Do you have any virtualmin files in /etc/yum.repos.d, like an rpmsave file?

If so, just copy the damned thing back into its right place (virtualmin.repo). Jebus. This is so complicated.

ok I did that now with below error

Correct. RHEL killed CentOS, so the options now for the CentOS/RHEL-like Linux OS’s is RHEL (free license), AlmaLinux, or Rocky Linux. CentOS stream for non-production. Someone needs to update the supported OS list to reflect this. :wink:

I’m re-posting this question:

I’m on version 7.1-1 (this server is more than a year old it upgraded from version 6.X) - can I safely change the package url to http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/7/gpl/apt and also, why did it not update this with the VM7 update? Why is it still pointing to the version 6 repo URL?

uBuntu 20.04 LTS - VM 7.1-1 - WM 1.994.

Ummm…that has nothing at all to do with INSTALLING VIRTUALMIN.

That is post installation configuration. The two are not related.

It’s long winded comments like that that cause people to get completely confused and try to do things in the wrong order.

What I said is all it takes to get Virtualmin up and running properly. In most cases it is all anybody is going to need. They can always figure out how to upgrade things or change settings later on after the fact with a simple post on this forum.

Below is what is currently there

Redhat killed Cent OS (unceremoniously). Yes AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux provide exactly what CentOS was before, although you can get free RHEL licenses as well now (up to 14 IIRC). So basically Redhat has replaced Cent OS with a free RHEL tier (you don’t get support with the free tier but that’s the only limitation), and CentOS Stream is for developers you wouldn’t use it in production.

I us uBuntu though so none of that affects me. :stuck_out_tongue:

No.

Because you installed Virtualmin 6. The module is not the installer.

The new installer has different dependencies. You should not switch to other repos for no reason and without understanding the differences.

We change major versions of the repositories so that we can break things without breaking your things. So…don’t switch without understanding what the differences are.

The virtual-server module is just the Webmin module. “Virtualmin” is the install script, all the packages, the repos, the yum groups, the virtualm-config settings, all the other modules, and a few other dependencies. All of those things change when major versions change. You running Virtualmin virtual-server module version 7.1 does not make your system the same as a Virtualmin 7 system (but you’ll have mostly all the same features, or the ability to enable/add them…just slightly different deps and defaults).

Edit: Also, stop changing the subject! This is chaotic. I can’t keep up. I’m done with this thread for tonight. Too much going on.

Below is how mine looks.

I didn’t know my thread has been hijacked until now. This is frustrating.

Just reinstall the virtualmin-release package.

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/centos/8/x86_64/virtualmin-release-latest.noarch.rpm
rpm -ivh virtualmin-latest.noarch.rpm

You have to do that as root. (or with sudo)

Also do it in a real interactive shell, not the Webmin popup command shell.

Sorry, only just saw this and it looks like there’s been a lot of wrong answers.
Webmn / virtualmin is just a red herring, nothing to do with the issue.

The original issue is because ImageMagick is installed both from EPEL and REMI depos.
Remove and reinstall ImageMagick from either one of those and that should sort it.

^---- This. Happened to me too. Go to System / Software Packages, search for ImageMagick, and uninstall it (ignore any dependencies). Then search for it (Package from YUM / ImageMagick) and install what it finds. This will allow the Virtualmin updater to complete (which is the same thing as running “dnf update”) and all will be well.

Foul

Thank you but I already had success updating ImageMagick but not yet with Virtualmin. I am planning buying a new host and installing virtualmin the way recommended by @Joe
Until then I will be able to update virtualmin and move my production site to the new server. Thats what I am planning as there is no way other than that if I want to update the virtualmin to latest version. Thanks for your effort.

I told you how to set the repos back up so you can get updates.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.