Can I install another webmin on same server?

Back up the websites and restore them on a fresh install. You don’t have to back up and restore the entire system. That would be an exercise in futility.

Again, here are the instructions. Just follow them and you’ll be fine.

You can skip down to the “One-Off Backups” section.

I think I understand what’s happened here. You’ve probably clicked on Install Webmin in your VPS control panel is that correct?

The right way to do it is to install your chosen operating system in the VPS panel and then SSH in and install it from terminal. There’s an excellent tutorial here, although he uses ubuntu you may need to find a slightly different one for RHEL (you’re using AlamaLinux) unless you’re happy to use uBuntu instead (which is probably not what you want because AlamaLinux will have a longer LTS life).

Truer words were never said. I’ve actually my own tutorial ready to publish on Flarum’s forum I’m just waiting for Stripe to set up a couple of things for me. I have a long detailed guide explaining how to set up email properly (see mail-tester result) there’s a previous topic with the wrong information lol. The guide is written from POV of running a forum, so full SPF+DKIM+DMARC authentication and SRS for email forwarding (e.g. admin@forum.example.com > youremail@outlook.com).

No it isn’t, what about installing the proper PHP version and then giving it the proper configuration? PHP’s dumb default max upload size is 2MB which is useless for most CMS’s like Wordpress which need to fetch larger files. You should also set up the DNS settings in your DNS zone manager (at minimum an A record pointing to the IP address) before creating the virtual server because that way it will automatically fetch a Let’s Encrypt SSL cert for you. You need to create your DH PEM file as well. Also what the youtuber is doing is dumb - they’re registering a domain at NameCheap and managing the DNS records with Contabo. Just use ONE service for both of those tasks - Namesilo is literally perfect for that. No need to wait for DNS records to propagate since the domain is already setup to use their name servers for you by default - and if you do have your own name server (or your host lets you use theirs) then you can still plug yourself into that any time.

Firefox with uBO you’re my type of guy! :wink:

The only issue with yours is that it gets outdated very quickly. :wink: Phil’s guide is kept more up-to-date, but it’s certainly not an exhaustive tutorial either. It’s really more of a guide that’s helpful in understanding the set-up process, but you’ll still want to do things your own way.

Since you’re self-hosting Discourse you should make a tutorial for that sometime and include the resource usage/requirements. That’d be a great resource for your clients, and you could put it in the Virtualmin docs. Speaking of which:

Flarum can do it. Also the WYSIWYG / Rich Text Editor is way better than Discourse’s editor as well. The only things I feel are missing from it at the moment are: 1. having the title and forum in the heading (I’ve got a bit of JS that does this for me), 2. The default theme needs some gentle enhancement, and 3. separating private discussion better from the regular discussions. I disagree with Discourse’s claim that you need to use an external SMTP relay service, that’s a bold claim to make for a piece of software that only generates transactional emails and you only need them going out and not in. For a professional forum it may be advisable, but otherwise it’s unnecessary if you put in the work to set up the SMTP relay properly on the VPS.

Currently am more confused and frustrated than before. I dont even know what to do again. I have not encountered all this issues for 2 years since I started using webmin.
I have downloaded some of the important backup for my site and some that are large are hitting timeout which I dont know what to do.

Please I dont want to make mistake again in this.
You said the steps @Gomez_Adams gave me isnt it?
Now that I want to start afresh and install the right way please I need guide that will prevent me from doing it bad way because I know I will loose many things which I will not want happen to me in the future again.
Please where should I start now? Thanks as you help.

You can start with Joe’s tutorial:

Then supplement it with another one like Phil’s. Then setting up mail is a whole 'nother thing and will depend on how you’re using the VPS. If you have shared hosting clients on the VPS and they need inbound/outbound email you probably do want to set up an external SMTP relay service for them, but if it’s a handful of friends and family I wouldn’t worry about just set up everything properly on the VPS itself Linux Babe has an excellent guide for that. Only thing it doesn’t cover is SRS but that’s dead-easy and all you need to do is set up PostSRSd.

This centos same with AlmaLinux?

This clears things out while confusion is you write WEBMIN here again, and before you did write here about WEBMIN AND Virtualmin TABS right?
Differences:
WEBMIN only Installation is different product then Virtualmin Installation with the WEBMIN in it!

If you did installed before a WEBMIN only ( by for example control panel of your Hoster where the deliver you a VPS with WEBMIN only as Contabo does for example) You have normally start clean again to install Virtualmin with the WEBMIN it it from scratch if you need Virtualmin to!

If you folowed a guide where WEBMIN only is installed and you did install after that Virtualmin then also i guess.

If you however installed the way it should so Virtualmin installed script from scratch clean with then the WEBMIN already in it then things should be allright and if not Support for…

So if the installation is a mix first WEBMIN then Virtualmin, it is hard to bring such BOX back as it should have been!

They advice as you read above to start over then, or you get payed Support from someone here in Forum…

If you need to start over i advice to get a second VPS to start over with and learn som basics first, after that one is OK you can move your important domains / sites to that one.
( mostly files, databases, and mails can be backed up and restored to the new one, but advice is then you know what you are doing, and test it is working before changing pointing DNS to the new VPS)

You can pay 1 or even 3 months for example at your hoster for a (Test VPS) cheap… (but minimal better have 4 GB memory there makes it more easy ) to learn i do so to for Virtualmin things.

EDIT:
OYEA you got the same problems if you did update Webmin part not with the main Virtualmin REPO package as it should. ( but manual with another script or with the Webmin repo package only)
You can find this in:
WEBMIN TAB > SYSTEM > Software Package > Software Package updates
if there is a repo package called “Webmin (Webmin Distribution Neutral)” and active yes then no good!

Also everyone do before a update always a Re-fetching available packages .if you do them in the VMIN GUI!

Yep. but Centos came before Almalinux

1 Like

The tutorial you linked, if that’s the one you actually followed, already used the install script. So, you’ve disable the Virtualmin repositories since then. I don’t know why.

Don’t go reinstalling!

Everybody, stop telling someone with a production system to reinstall Virtualmin on top of it! That will be disruptive and possibly destructive! The install does not expect to run on an already production system.

@mesh if all that is missing is the Virtualmin repos, you can set them up again with:

sudo /bin/sh install.sh --setup

That only sets up repos. Nothing else. It will not mess with your existing system.

Also, please pay attention to what you’re doing…maybe keep some notes? It makes no sense that you don’t seem to know how you installed or how/when you removed the Virtualmin repo configuration. Those are things you should be paying attention to.

Alright sir but this command sudo /bin/sh install.sh --setup returns error as seen below

Run it in a real interactive terminal.

The Webmin popup command shell is non-interactive.

i.e. login with Putty or git bash or bash or whatever real terminal your OS has.

Argh, wait nevermind. It actually would have worked, but this is not a supported OS?

I’m sorry, I’m confused. Was this CentOS converted to Alma or Rocky, I guess?

OK, stop this.

Let’s back track. Do you have any virtualmin files in /etc/yum.repos.d, like an rpmsave file?

If so, just copy the damned thing back into its right place (virtualmin.repo). Jebus. This is so complicated.

ok I did that now with below error

Correct. RHEL killed CentOS, so the options now for the CentOS/RHEL-like Linux OS’s is RHEL (free license), AlmaLinux, or Rocky Linux. CentOS stream for non-production. Someone needs to update the supported OS list to reflect this. :wink:

I’m re-posting this question:

I’m on version 7.1-1 (this server is more than a year old it upgraded from version 6.X) - can I safely change the package url to http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/7/gpl/apt and also, why did it not update this with the VM7 update? Why is it still pointing to the version 6 repo URL?

uBuntu 20.04 LTS - VM 7.1-1 - WM 1.994.

Ummm…that has nothing at all to do with INSTALLING VIRTUALMIN.

That is post installation configuration. The two are not related.

It’s long winded comments like that that cause people to get completely confused and try to do things in the wrong order.

What I said is all it takes to get Virtualmin up and running properly. In most cases it is all anybody is going to need. They can always figure out how to upgrade things or change settings later on after the fact with a simple post on this forum.

Below is what is currently there

Redhat killed Cent OS (unceremoniously). Yes AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux provide exactly what CentOS was before, although you can get free RHEL licenses as well now (up to 14 IIRC). So basically Redhat has replaced Cent OS with a free RHEL tier (you don’t get support with the free tier but that’s the only limitation), and CentOS Stream is for developers you wouldn’t use it in production.

I us uBuntu though so none of that affects me. :stuck_out_tongue:

No.

Because you installed Virtualmin 6. The module is not the installer.

The new installer has different dependencies. You should not switch to other repos for no reason and without understanding the differences.

We change major versions of the repositories so that we can break things without breaking your things. So…don’t switch without understanding what the differences are.

The virtual-server module is just the Webmin module. “Virtualmin” is the install script, all the packages, the repos, the yum groups, the virtualm-config settings, all the other modules, and a few other dependencies. All of those things change when major versions change. You running Virtualmin virtual-server module version 7.1 does not make your system the same as a Virtualmin 7 system (but you’ll have mostly all the same features, or the ability to enable/add them…just slightly different deps and defaults).

Edit: Also, stop changing the subject! This is chaotic. I can’t keep up. I’m done with this thread for tonight. Too much going on.

Below is how mine looks.

I didn’t know my thread has been hijacked until now. This is frustrating.