Ubuntu 16.04

This is a reminder to try out on a server that you do not depend on for your income first. I’m sure the seasoned pros already know this but other programs you depend on may not be Ubuntu 16 ready, like your favorite backup tool. Speaking of which, is there already a thread about the best method of live backup and bare metal restoration for an entire system with Virtualmin and Ubuntu 16?

Install Script Fix

Just a heads up that Jamie thinks he resolved the Install Script issue… would anyone care to test? This is a patch for the file “/usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/script_form.cgi” – the first line of code is at line 41 (it’s a patch, so remove lines beginning with a -, and add lines beginning with a +):

if (defined(&$phpvfunc)) { @vers = &$phpvfunc($d, $ver); @gotvers = grep { local $v = $_; local $_; - &check_php_version($d, $v) } @vers; + &check_php_version($d, $v) } + &expand_php_versions($d, \@vers); @gotvers = sort { &get_php_version($b, $d) <=> - &get_php_version($a, $d) } - &expand_php_versions($d, \@gotvers); + &get_php_version($a, $d) } @gotvers; if (!@gotvers) { print &text('scripts_ephpvers', join(" or ", @vers)),"

\n"; $ok = 0;

After applying the above, restart Webmin with “service webmin restart”.

We’ll be releasing a new minor release soon to address this and other issues.

-Eric

For me works on cloud server
I Install from thier panel 14.04 Ubuntu and Upgrade to 16.04

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
reboot
sudo apt-get -y install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade

If Ubuntu 16.04 has not been released yet, you should see the following:

Checking for a new Ubuntu release
No new release found

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Keep configs when it asks

Then virtualmin and works fine

I could install the roundcube properly, the patch worked :slight_smile:
I had an error with roundcube after that, but might be because of some tests, I’ll re-install and check.

Thank you Eric ,

In digitalocean and one of my bare metal server it worked fine . I did not tried in EC2 yet
But in scaleway that specific issues occurs ( mismtch hash ) . it seems all component install but virtualmin theme seems does not install ( virtual server directory is missing so patch is not solution is this case

In previous reply you wanted to access , In that case How can i send you access to that server ?

Hi there,

Having issues with a brand new droplet running 16.04 LTS x64, 512MB RAM 20GB HDD.

It gets stuck here everytime:

INFO - /usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt.conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install bsdutils postfix postfix-pcre webmin usermin ruby libxml-simple-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl unzip zip libfcgi-dev bind9 spamassassin spamc procmail procmail-wrapper libnet-ssleay-perl libpg-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-mysql-perl quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion ruby irb rdoc ri mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common postgresql postgresql-client awstats webalizer dovecot-common dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d proftpd libcrypt-ssleay-perl awstats clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav clamav-freshclam clamav-docs clamav-testfiles libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-custom scponly apache2 apache2-doc libapache2-svn libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules sasl2-bin php-pear php php-cgi libapache2-mod-php php-mysql: Succeeded. INFO - Succeeded. INFO - Installing Virtualmin and all related packages now using the command: INFO - /usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt.conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install virtualmin-base ...in progress, please wait... ................................................

I have tried reprovisioning the droplet and running the install again, but it hangs at the exact same place. Thereafter my droplet becomes unresponsive and I have to force reboot it. I must add that I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on the new 16.04 LTS before installing Virtualmin.

The installation on a similar 16.04 droplet yesterday went well though. Did anything change between then and now?

Many thanks.

Ok, so roundcube 1.1.5 doesn’t with PHP 7, but apparently 1.2-beta does (cf https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=52368), so event if it’s beta, I guess it should be set in the list, otherwise limit to php 5 (and make sure that if php 5 is installed and set in php version, it takes php 5 and not php 7, like it did for me).

edit: Apparently even a rc is available.

Hash Sum Issue Workaround

Okay, after poking at this for awhile, I do think I finally determine the source of the issue. There really is a metadata checksum error in the 64 bit version of one of the packages, and all versions of Ubuntu 16.04 are seeing that issue. The 32 bit version is fine.

So why does it work for some people on 64 bit Linux? There appears to be an apt setting enabled by default, that is causing apt to fall back to 32 bit packages if the 64 bit package fails to install.

In Amazon/EC2, that option has been disabled, and that’s why things aren’t working there. It

Now, Joe is looking into this issue… if you listen carefully you might hear him screaming at apt… it’s apparently been a difficult issue to track down :slight_smile:

While he’s busy yelling at apt, here’s a workaround –

Just create a new file (or edit an existing file) in “/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/”, and add this one line:

APT::Architectures:: "i386";

After setting that, the install should finish successfully.

Again, we are working on the issue, the above is just a workaround until we’ve sorted out why it’s not setting the checksum properly.

-Eric

Shoot, just after I typed up the above, Joe appears to have gotten it working.

We’ll need to submit this question to MythBusters, whether yelling at a problem aids in getting it resolved quickly :slight_smile:

Can you guys give it a try again? (without the above mentioned workaround)

Hi, I don’t know if my isuse is related to the above, but I am still having the following problem on a DigitalOcean droplet that I didn’t have two days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

Having issues with a brand new droplet running 16.04 LTS x64, 512MB RAM 20GB HDD.

It gets stuck here everytime:

INFO - /usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt.conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install bsdutils postfix postfix-pcre webmin usermin ruby libxml-simple-perl libcrypt-ssleay-perl unzip zip libfcgi-dev bind9 spamassassin spamc procmail procmail-wrapper libnet-ssleay-perl libpg-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-mysql-perl quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion ruby irb rdoc ri mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common postgresql postgresql-client awstats webalizer dovecot-common dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d proftpd libcrypt-ssleay-perl awstats clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav clamav-freshclam clamav-docs clamav-testfiles libapache2-mod-fcgid apache2-suexec-custom scponly apache2 apache2-doc libapache2-svn libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules sasl2-bin php-pear php php-cgi libapache2-mod-php php-mysql: Succeeded. INFO - Succeeded. INFO - Installing Virtualmin and all related packages now using the command: INFO - /usr/bin/apt-get --config-file apt.conf.noninteractive -y --force-yes install virtualmin-base ...in progress, please wait... ................................................

I have tried reprovisioning the droplet and running the install again, but it hangs at the exact same place. Thereafter my droplet becomes unresponsive and I have to force reboot it. I must add that I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on the new 16.04 LTS before installing Virtualmin.

The installation on a similar 16.04 droplet yesterday went well though. Did anything change between then and now?

Many thanks.

The virtualmin install log stops here:

INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Started installation log in /root/virtualmin-install.log DEBUG - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Install mode: full DEBUG - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Product: Virtualmin GPL DEBUG - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Virtualmin Meta-Package list: virtualmin-base DEBUG - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - install.sh version: 1.1.4 INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Checking for fully qualified hostname... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Hostname OK: fully qualified as buyfromwhere.com INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Installing serial number and license key into /etc/virtualmin-license INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:54 - Loading OS selection library... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:55 - Download of http://software.virtualmin.com/lib/oschooser.pl Succeeded. INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:55 - Loading OS list... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:55 - Download of http://software.virtualmin.com/lib/os_list.txt Succeeded. INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:55 - Operating system name: Ubuntu Linux INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:56 - Operating system version: 16.04 INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:56 - Configuring package manager for Ubuntu Linux 16.04... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:56 - Enabling universe repositories, if not already available... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:20:56 - Disabling cdrom repositories... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:21:03 - Cleaning up apt headers and packages, so we can start fresh... INFO - 2016-04-27 19:21:03 -

I know it should works, but I would lower my expectations on 512MB RAM :slight_smile:

I got CAC 8GB RAM 12CPU and works fine

Yeah I do suspect you’re seeing a different issue than the other ones described here. It’s possible that it’s resource related, though I’m not entirely certain.

Is there any chance you could open up a new Forum thread, and then we can troubleshoot a bit more there?

-Eric

Thank you. I’ll open a new thread when I reach home later.

Strange as it has been working properly on 14.04 Lts and I’ve already added 4gb swap.

Hi trenzterra , I installed VMim in DO machine on ubuntu 16.04 without any problem . did you try with more RAM ?

Hi trenzterra , I installed VMim in DO machine on ubuntu 16.04 without any problem . did you try with more RAM ?

we need updated install script :slight_smile:

where are we? :slight_smile:

just installed it on new server and works, it installs, then fix for webalizer

can someone share patched /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/script_form.cgi

i cant get it working

thanks

We’re still seeing an issue with backups on Ubuntu 16.04 that we’re working to resolve (specifically, relating to the databases… database authentication is working differently than it had previously)…

Once we fix that, we’ll be pushing out a new Virtualmin and Webmin release containing fixes for all known issues.

-Eric