OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.4
Webmin version 20.200
Usermin version 2.010
Virtualmin version 7.20.1
Theme version 21.20.1
Nginx version 1.18.0
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

Hi there,
the new terminal login code now logs you in as the user rather than root but it does not allow you to elevate to root
webmin output

terminal output
These screenshots are from the same server, I have not mixed up 2 servers so the user is in the sudo group
Note This example server has Webmin installed and the Virtualmin module installed at a later date

This is not a great report (we usually need more detail), but Jamie just happened to fix what I think your title is about a few hours ago.

Brain wobble there I hit enter and the post saved b4 I finished it, updated now

Just to confirm the patch works

1 Like

So how do we actually revert the behaviour to how it was before the new upgrade ? @Ilia’s comment can not work if the user is a unix user and not a webmin user ? The whole reason of having a unix user rather than a webmin user was to stop exploits that may stem from webmin, I would guess you need to convert the user from unix to webmin for this to work ?

No, temporarily you would want to disable this new limitation in Webmin ⇾ Webmin Users: Edit Webmin User / Terminal: Module Access Control page.

In the next Webmin 2.201 we will fix that sudo to user works.

The user in question is not a webmin user so therefore does not appear in the webmin users list how do I fix that , convert unix user to webmin user ?

You do it for the root user.

Ok that worked ,
Could I use something like

webmin patch https://github.com/webmin/commit/<id>

instead ?

if you want fix it … just edit /etc/sudoers and add
{yourUSERname} ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

Yes, it’s annoyng but not the end of the world… you need to login everytime you jump in the webmin terminal. I hope to see fixed asap :slight_smile:

Just to help

I know this change was made for security (not using the root as default) but I can’t remember where this discussion was so I can add it to my notes.

Does anyone have a link to why this change was made?

Yours sincerely, The Windows Guy :smile:

I applied the patch no need to do that

1 Like

Nope but may be a forum search may find it for you
EDIT
Just because it’s you I found it
https://forum.virtualmin.com/t/feedback-from-a-first-time-user/127250

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.