Smtp error (454) authentication failed

Anyone can help?

Not sure what my corresponding Postfix settings are but FWIW my Thunderbird username is

someone.domain

Why are y’all trying to guess usernames? You’re the system administrator, you can know with 100% certainty what the usernames are.

It is right there in the UI. Click Edit Users in the domain in question, the field labeled IMAP / POP3 / FTP Login is the username.

If your system uses user@domain.tld format usernames, there will also be another username (without the @), that you can see in /etc/passwd or in the System->Users and Groups module, which can also be used, but it is not generally necessary to care about that at the client level. It is an artifact of Postfix and how it deals with @ (and some other services that not everybody uses).

In Usermin, if you connect to the domain name, e.g. https://www.virtualmin.com:20000, it should be possible to use either the barename, e.g. joe, or the full username, e.g. joe@virtualmin.com. Some other mail tools are able to do the same, but most dedicated local mail clients are not aware of that info.

2 Likes

@Joe
Just checked usernames and there are 2 of them:
hello@domain(.)com
hello-domain(.)com
Both usernames does not work if I try to login via Thunderbird.
Login to Roundcube works, yet same SMPT error if I try to send an email.

Logs. The client has no idea why it failed. Look in the maillog.

@Joe

which one to look at?

view mail.log

1 Like

I’m based in UK and I can see some strange IP’s trying to connect from Ukraine and Lithuania. What the…
Or I missed something here

Irrelevant. Any public server will be attacked by spammers.

saslauthd either isn’t running or is misconfigured. Did you do a full install? Were there any errors? This should have been done for you during install…but, if the install didn’t complete, it won’t be configured correctly or enabled.

Try running:

# virtualmin config-system --include SASL
2 Likes

Note that if the install didn’t complete, we can’t guess how many steps didn’t happen but the installer should have indicated it. There is a counter during install where it says “4/23” or whatever (number of steps varies depending on the installation type chosen but there is always a counter), and if you don’t get all “23/23” steps with green checks (maybe a yellow mark during quota config) something went wrong with the install and it isn’t complete and not expected to be functional.

1 Like

sasl
1 out of 1

fail2ban status
one more

OK, now watch the log again while trying to auth. Did anything change?

1 Like

nothing changes on the log if I try to login via thunderbird

You’ll need to do some more troubleshooting, then, to figure out why it isn’t working normally.

That’s making sure saslauthd is running, making sure its config matches what is supposed to be setup, making sure Postfix is correctly configured to communicate with saslauthd. You can look in the Virtualmin-Config plugins that set all that up in Virtualmin-Config/lib/Virtualmin/Config/Plugin at master · virtualmin/Virtualmin-Config · GitHub

That should give the the gist of what it’s supposed to look like. There are a few comments in the Postfix.pm plugin, and you can just scan through it looking for mentions of sasl and SMTP auth.

2 Likes

looks like rocket science coz I’m new

Well, @mantas8 and I worked on this and the issue is now resolved.

I had to do the following to resolve the issue:

1. create a subdomain, vps.domain.tld, for hostname of server Virtualmin was running on
  2. change the hostname from the default that Contabo sets to vps.domain.tld
  3. create subdomains for name servers
  4. Rerun Post-Install Wizard and apply name servers
  5. Request SSL certificate for vps.domain.tld and apply to webmin / usermin / postfix / dovecot et al.
  6. Install Roundcube
  7. Troubleshoot SASL (as Joe had recommended in the earlier message)
  8. Send / receive test messages from Roundcube and Thunderbird - everything worked perfectly right off the bat

Thanks for the business @mantas8!

Hey @saabir, you had a similar issue too. Hope this sequence of steps helps you fix it.

3 Likes

@calport thanks
One thing I can’t understand why it didn’t worked on my default assigned records
mail.domain(.)com
webmail.domain(.)com
These I’ve created for this specific purpose to be “default”

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.