REPO ISSUES Unsolved Cloudmin Not Useable

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12.2 Bookworm REQUIRED
Webmin version Latest REQUIRED
Cloudmin version Pro Latest REQUIRED
Did a clean installation using default netinstall of Debian 12.

So I venture into starting a KVM host and got an error

Setting up KVM host system …

Checking system status …
… done

Installing required commands …
… done

Turning off AppArmor …
… done

Installing KVM packages …
… installation failed : Reading package lists… Building dependency tree… Reading state information… Package kvm is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source Package qemu is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source W: --force-yes is deprecated, use one of the options starting with --allow instead. E: Package ‘kvm’ has no installation candidate E: Package ‘qemu’ has no installation candidate

… setup failed! See the error message above.

eeeek well that didn’t work as planned is there a video walkthrough on cloudmin so I can verify I am intuiting the process of getting things going?

Well in the meantime I found a bookworm raw cloud image and got er uploaded locally but enough is enough for today I’ve been surfing quite some time.

I found there were similar issues other people were having and Jamie asked for a log file not long ago and the thread was closed something do to a signature error I believe not sure. But they mention pretty much all the same thing.

Anyway most likely all signs point to Repository woes for cloudmin I assume that need to be fixed on that end so I’ll wait see if I can get some feedback on this one instead of banging the keyboard and staying up till 3AM reading over posts.

Would be great if there were video’s on setup so I could at least have affirmation that I am intuiting the interface correctly as I believe it should work but that kind of media is like finding buried treasure for virtualmin stuff it seems or if its out there its not tagged well for searches to find it?

Well figured it might be the distro was temporarily out of order tried again just now get the same error. So yeah nothing else really sticks out as to why this would be in logs other than like I say not having the same username and server name.

Well temporary work around but I think its likely going to be fixed at some point.
Posted the bug on the cloudmin github got a response there.

KVM is not installed via a package named kvm.

Try installing it with:

apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-daemon-system libvirt-clients bridge-utils

@jcameron Jamie, the Cloudmin installer should use the correct package name.

Also, we need to create a new repo under GitHub.com/webmin for Cloudmin users, like cloudmin-gpl or server-manager, so users would be able to report the problem in the right place.

Having a heck of a time I don’t think its possible to get cloudmin up and running with a VM at current I think there is too many package manager issues…

Got a VM up and running problem being its only SSH for status.

so I try to install webmin or virtualmin and I get repo errors again.

Installing Webmin on superhosting.localhost from APT …
… install failed : Failed to upload Webmin public key : scp: dest open “\/tmp\/jcameron\-key\.asc”: No such file or directory scp: failed to upload file /usr/share/webmin/server-manager/jcameron-key.asc to \/tmp\/jcameron\-key\.asc

Either that or I am in some scatter brained nightmare at the moment…
Virtualmin was fairly intuitive you get your servers up and going fairly simply the security settings and a few other things are things you must configure on your own more or less but reasonable the problem is getting up and running and getting to that point is not currently possible using what I would consider normal anyways.

What I presumed is I could install my kvm image after setting up networking and have virtualmin installed when I click the radial selector to do so. I pull up my server and it says status SSH.

I try to install virtualmin or webmin even and it errors out ? Do I have to copy and use the same SSH keys across servers or is this a repo issue related to the other repo issue? Or is there maybe something else I’m potentially doing wrong?

Are you sure that Debian 12 is even supported with the current installer?

Sure it is the repo’s for bookworm exist and the threads say its supported when I looked through the forums so I presume this is the case.

Interesting. I assume you are using the Debian installation script? Or are you using the beta installation script that has been posted on the forum?

@Jamie / @Joe - the Cloudmin Pro install script states a minimum version of Debian…not a maximum:

Operating systems supported by this installer are:

Debian 4.0 or later on i386 and x86_64
 Ubuntu 8.04 or later on i386 and x86_64

This is correct I already affirmed there are some odd distro errors with the maker of cloudmin as stated I just posted some more in case they need the info that might be helpful in tracking things down quite possibly.

But I can look in my package manager and see my version of debian from pro has bookworm repos included so it isn’t that they are not included I am trying a few things like installing virtualmin security at current to see if this helps maybe things will work we shall see. Been at it off and on trying to ensure I’m not doing something wrong per say.

Debian 12 should work, but we are fixing up the package names referred to by the installer. This is being tracked in Starting a KVM host fails Debian 12.x · Issue #1684 · webmin/authentic-theme · GitHub

thank you much for the update much appreciated!

I did so with 2 NIC’s but here was the run down although 2NIC’s are not a requirement.

So I can say cloudmin works on Debian 12 finally its just lacking a crap ton of functionality like 80% of the menu options to control your server or see it VIA VNC or install virtualmin or webmin all of this stuff doesn’t work @ ALL … WHEW! What a job to recall all I did with networking thats another story.

Install Cloudmin I suggest using PRO skip GPL all together just use the link they provide you it inserts your serial number and downloads and installs it.

First I setup a pool of IP’s from 192.168.1.170-180 in cloudmin

Then I downloaded the images to for KVM that I might use in my case Debian 11 was available.

Next I installed bridge utils from the terminal as root. Then qemu-system then libvirt-daemon-system

apt install bridge-utils
apt install qemu-system
apt install libvirt-daemon-system

Next I disabled suspend mode for good measure

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Also note I used X11 rather than Wayland as Wayland has issues with screen recording down on the lower right hand corner when you login for me I wanted the Desktop and GNOME X11 for other people it may vary. But just a good hint in case others want to use Desktop on their server as well. I had no choice the Terminal seems to be a mess using cloudmin at least on Debian 12.

There is no text input shown on screen and text output is all over the screen its kind of like bad visual basic output I used to get trying to output webpages on my ESP8266 if you didn’t add special formatting to it. But anyways I had to fire up desktop just to use a terminal that looked decent. And didn’t randomly freeze like the one in cloudmin. Your travels and results may vary.

So when you su on desktop make sure you su --login so it puts you in the right file path. I notices something odd if you don’t su --login the file path seems to stay as if you are the user.

so don’t just use su or su root use su --login on Debian 12 at least

Well now that we got cloudmin and the extras installed that we will need to run KVM … Heres what I did next.

I know I grabbed my MAC ID

ip address show dev enp4s0 | awk '$1=="link/ether" {print $2}'

enp4s0 should be replaced with your NIC connection name depending upon what that is as a note for new folks.

For [performance and security reasons], disable netfilter for bridges. Create /etc/sysctl.d/bridge.conf with these contents:

net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables=0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables=0

Next I Create /etc/udev/rules.d/99-bridge.rules with the following contents. This udev rule applies the sysctl settings above when the bridge module is loaded. (If using Linux kernel 3.18 or later, change KERNEL=="bridge" to KERNEL=="br_netfilter".) That has this info:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="module", KERNEL=="bridge", RUN+="/sbin/sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.d/bridge.conf"

Next I created my bridge in etc/network/interfaces to look like this.

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# If unsure what 'netmask' or 'gateway' should be, ask your hosting provider.

iface enp4s0 inet manual

auto 0 br0 conf eth0
iface br0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.172
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	bridge_ports enp4s0
	bridge_stp off
    # Use the MAC address identified above.

# If you want to turn on Spanning Tree Protocol, ask your hosting
    # provider first as it may conflict with their network.
    # If STP is off, set to 0. If STP is on, set to 2 (or greater).

iface br0 inet6 static
	pre-up /sbin/modprobe -q ipv6 ; /bin/true
	address 2001:db8::1
	netmask 64

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.170
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0

Run the following:

ip address flush enp4s0 scope global && ifup br0

After doing so I setup my KVM server. And Spun up a KVM

After I got SSH access on it I set the network to connect to br0 under system settings and network interfaces for the VM not the KVM server.

Active now looks like:

Name	Type	IPv4 address	Netmask	IPv6 address	Status
br0 	Bridge 	192.168.1.172 	255.255.255.0 	2001:db8::1 	Up
enp3s0 	Ethernet 	192.168.1.228 	255.255.255.0 	
	Up
enp4s0 	Ethernet 	No address configured 	None 	
	Up
lo 	Loopback 	127.0.0.1 	255.0.0.0 	::1 	Up
tap0 	Unknown 	No address configured 	None 	fe80::88f4:b5ff:fe92:416c 	Up

Then Activated At Boot looks like:

Name	Type	IPv4 address	Netmask	IPv6 address	Active
br0 	Bridge 	192.168.1.172 	255.255.255.0 	2001:db8::1 	Yes
enp4s0 	Ethernet 	No address configured 	None 	
	No
eth0 	Ethernet 	192.168.1.170 	255.255.255.0 	
	Yes

Set act as router yes Under Routing and gateways with enp4s0 selected

My Active configuration looks like:

Destination	Gateway	Netmask	Interface
default 	192.168.1.2 	
	enp3s0
	255.255.255.0 	br0
	255.255.255.0 	enp3s0

So once all that is verified as working and you have SSH

I had to go to my KVM in cloudmin from the dropdown that says SSH by it.

I had to use System Operations → Run Commands

I ran this command first to download virtualmin as it wasn’t preinstalled like it was supposed to be.

wget https://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/virtualmin-install.sh

next I installed it with the -f option

sh install virtualmin-install.sh -f

There will be some barking and yelling about errors just give it time let it do its thing right now is piss and a pop time. If you gave it a good while don’t pay attention to what it says just think how much time it takes to install there will be -t errors galore but just ignore them for now and just give it sometime.

Now that you gave it time you should be able to login to Virtualmin using the IP in my case I opened up a browser and fired up 192.168.1.170:10000 cause thats my eth0 address and golden I got my first VM up and running.

I can’t wait to see a more intuitive process when some of the other features start working hopefully soon here. Well the more people that purchase cloudmin the more funds they’ll have to keep people live working on stuff around the clock to get it up and running. I can get some of it running but a lot of things require Java so well…

But almost nothing from cloudmin is functional thank goodness I realized execute command still worked!

Anyways thats how I got it going with two NIC’s One Working as a bridge the other working as a host machine NIC.

Enjoy maybe this will help someone.

Although this is no solution long term it is a workaround to get things firing for folks!

:slight_smile: MERRY CHRISTMAS FOLKS!

Yeah IDK restarted my KVM and I’m back to trying to get connection and nothing I’m trying is working! NO SSH no virtualmin nothing it is an oddity.

Lord I wish someone would post a video setting Cloudmin up from scratch on bare metal single server single nic cause in reality I was only bridged to one NIC at the time it was functional.

I can say I’m not fond of how networking works with KVM the learning curve is like a dead cat bounce. You think you get it but then you don’t HAHA! It laughs at you!

Just messed up bit frustrated by this at the moment think I need to take some time away from this dang thing I had my server and website up and running and a reboot of the KVM pretty much blew all my progress away after fixing up some issues with login to WP-ADMIN I wanted to do a restart.

Something I noticed though PHP doesn’t upgrade even on Debian 11 from the repositories it still stays at 7.4 which is the whole reason I was upgrading from 10 to begin with so maybe I’ll have to start this all over again and create a Debian 12 image to get PHP8.x ?

Yep I think so https://wiki.debian.org/PHP

Funny there are no images in the repo for Debian 12 for cloudmin.

Eventually everyone is going to be Barking that does Debian and Runs Wordpress websites because soon wordpress is not going to work with 11/10/9/squeeze/jessie etc… Well really it is fairly outdated already and may not work. Only thing I can guess is everyone is just using the Sury repo or backports or something I really don’t know. I mean a standard user using standard stuff to try to get pro working here as I follow what is said. OVER AND OVER!

DON’T USE NOT STANDARD METHODS OF INSTALLATION! -Joe from virtualmin I see this all the time so maybe the trick is simply not to listen and use other Repos? I mean what are you folks all doing out there that are using Debian ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.