Problems SPAM filter and procmail permissions

Virtualmin shows this message: Failed to save enabled features : The procmail command procmail has 0 permissions, when it should be setuid and setgid to root. Email may not be properly delivered or checked for spam.

When I active the spam filter in Features and Plugins

Yeah, that came up recently in the Bug Tracker as well:

http://www.virtualmin.com/index.php?option=com_flyspray&Itemid=82&do=details&task_id=4896

That’s just a check to make sure the permissions on procmail are correct – if they aren’t, things can go awry!

You can fix that by typing:

chmod 6755 /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper

I did the chmod and the problem was fixed.

Thanks a lot :wink:

Have the sam error but there is no file /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper (only /usr/bin/procmail)

andreychek wrote:

Yeah, that came up recently in the Bug Tracker as well:

http://www.virtualmin.com/index.php?option=com_flyspray&Itemid=82&do=details&task_id=4896

That’s just a check to make sure the permissions on procmail are correct – if they aren’t, things can go awry!

You can fix that by typing:

chmod 6755 /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper

Try to chmod procmail and try again…

Not having procmail-wrapper may be a sign that you didn’t install with the neato install.sh script which does all sorts of work for you!

We highly recommend using that for installs :slight_smile:

However, you may be missing the procmail-wrapper package, which is available in the Virtualmin repo.
-Eric

I have first installed virtualmin GPL (of course with the script mentioned). Afterwards i upgraded to Pro version by typing serial/key in the virtualmin upgrade form…

Yeah, you did it right then.

I’d just make sure you have procmail-wrapper installed – with “yum install procmail-wrapper” on RHEL/CentOS, or “apt-get install procmail-wrapper” on Debian/Ubuntu.
-Eric

I installed the package with dpkg and changed perms to 6755. Still get the same error in virtaulmin.

Okay, so what do the following commands show:

ls -l /usr/bin/procmail

ls -l /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper

Here’s the output of the commands:

debian:/# ls -l /usr/bin/procmail
-rwsr-sr-x 1 root mail 85472 2006-04-30 13:07 /usr/bin/procmail
debian:/# ls -l /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper
-rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 4536 2006-12-13 22:00 /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper
debian:/#

Thanks for the help!

Okay, that looks good. Just to be sure, can you paste in the specific error that you’re getting? Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric

In Virtualmin going to Sytstems Settings > Features and Plugins > checking the option "Spam filtering" > the following message is displayed:

Failed to save enabled features : The procmail command procmail has 0 permissions, when it should be setuid and setgid to root. Email may not be properly delivered or checked for spam.

Hrm… what happens if you do this:

chgrp root /usr/bin/procmail

It should work as the group “mail”, but I’m not sure what else it’d be complaining about :slight_smile:
-Eric

Hi Eric

Changing the group to root didn’t success. Even when I chmod procmail to 7777 the error still persists. Whatever procmail-wrapper is doing with procmail, it should be allowed, or not?

Maybe I’m doing a fresh reinstall… I’m loosing some configuration work, but the server is not yet in production phase.

Thanks anyway for your kind support and have a good night!

Well, that’s something that should certainly work.

If it doesn’t, I’d suggest filing a bug! Jamie can help us figure out what’s wrong there.

You can file a bug report using the Bugs and Issues link below.
-Eric

Try re-checking your system configuration. This is probably a cached piece of information.

The fact that it was not installed during the run of install.sh is troublesome, though. I’m almost certain you have other problems on the system–there’s no reason procmail-wrapper wouldn’t exist that doesn’t make me think the install script failed (there should have been some errors during the run or in the virtualmin-install.log file).

Oh, wait…This probably means you installed a long time ago, before Spam/AV was merged down into GPL.

You’ll want to change the mail delivery command in Postfix to procmail-wrapper. This will make this specific error go away, though others might show up.

Hi Joe

To your suggestions (in reverse order):

• Installation webmin, usermin, virtualmin, virtualmin Pro was done this monday (on debian lenny 64bit, maybe that’s an issue too).
  • Delivery command (mailbox_command) in Postfix-conf manually changed. But this does not allow to enable the SpamAssassin plugin.
  • System Konfiguration (virtualmin > System Settings > Re-check Config) doesn’t report any errors.
  • Yes, the fact that it was not installed may imply other hidden errors so a clean reinstall would probably be the best. Haven’t found “virtualmin-install.log” (only “webmin.log”). Where should it reside?
- Installation webmin, usermin, virtualmin, virtualmin Pro was done this monday (on debian lenny 64bit, maybe that's an issue too).

And:

- Yes, the fact that it was not installed may imply other hidden errors so a clean reinstall would probably be the best. Haven't found "virtualmin-install.log" (only "webmin.log"). Where should it reside?

Along with the other symptoms, makes it sound even more like install.sh was not how this system was installed. Did you install Webmin and Usermin yourself? Like, by downloading packages from Webmin.com, and such? If so, then you didn’t use install.sh–install.sh runs on a fresh OS installation, and sets up apt-get repositories and installs all of our packages (including Webmin and Usermin) and a handful of additional packages from our repos, as well as a couple dozen packages from the OS standard repos.

virtualmin-install.log writes to /root.