Problems SPAM filter and procmail permissions

Hi Joe

Now I’ve done a complete reinstall:

• removing virtualmin using the install script with option --uninstall.
  • tried to install with install script (both GPL and Pro) but it failed to install packages (see error-log, script warns that installation will fail on systems not listed, which is the case)
  • then I followed the steps for manual installation: Downloaded "webmin_1.450_all.deb", "usermin_1.380_all.deb", "webmin-virtual-server_3.66.gpl_all.deb" and "webmin-virtual-server-theme_6.7_all.deb" and installed them using dpkg - went all well, system is now running as before.
  • checked again permissions of procmail -> 6755 (ok)

But I still get the error that setuid/setgid do not work. Do you know how I can test these functions e.g. with a small test script? If it works we can assume that the error is in the procmail-wrapper or the plugin-check…

Attachement didn’t work. But I can send error-log by mail or post it directly if necessary.

That’s okay, I wouldn’t expect the installation log to show anything that’d help in this case, since it can’t complete properly on Lenny.

Now, why you’re still getting the error about procmail is a bit of a mystery to me.

I’ll talk to Jamie to see if he has an idea as to what might be triggering the error you’re seeing.
-Eric

One thing you should check is if Postfix is configured with the correct path to procmail. Try running the following command, and posting the output here :

[code:1]grep mailbox_command /etc/postfix/main.cf[/code:1]

It should be something like :

[code:1]mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME[/code:1]

Hi Eric

I see the only way to resolve the problem by having a look at save_newfeature.cgi which performs the validation (feature_check?) of all features. But I’m too less experienced in pearl programming to reverse-ingeneer it on my own…

Hi Jamie

Yes, that was it! Thank you very much!

Hi

I have the same Problem but i view at Jamies post follow line.

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a “$EXTENSION”

on my system i got following

mailbox_command = procmail -a “$EXTENSION”

so i add the path manual. and now it works.

BTW - Love the software!

My /etc/postfix/main.cf reads like this

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a “$EXTENSION”

I too were getting the

Failed to save enabled features : The procmail command procmail has 0 permissions, when it should be setuid and setgid to root. Email may not be properly delivered or checked for spam.

error.

To fix my version of this issue i did the following
Change procmail to root from mail group;
–Run from terminal–

root@pluto:~# chgrp root /usr/bin/procmail
root@pluto:~# ls -l /usr/bin/procmail
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 72316 2007-03-28 04:35 /usr/bin/procmail

Next step change to setuid as requested run the following command

root@pluto:~# chmod ug+s /usr/bin/procmail
root@pluto:~# ls -l /usr/bin/procmail
-rwSr-sr-x 1 root root 72316 2007-03-28 04:35 /usr/bin/procmail

note the inclusion of the S’s { -rwSr-sr-x }
Now re-run the re-check config and you should not get this error again.

Hope this helps someone and I thought I would share my experince on this issue so next time I go to re-install virtualmin and get this error again, I will know were to come and find the solution for it…

Thanks again for such great software!