Problem of compatibility between apache and virtualmin/webmin

I’ll bet a million dollars I don’t have that he was trying to install Wordpress and it failed because Wordpress is tied by default to php 8 + and he’s running 7.4.

1 Like

So I used this for PHP.

That seems to be right but I did ignore that it was the only way to add PHP versions with Virtualmin.
Then this made phpMyAdmin install possible.

I started a Debian from scratch then Webmin then Apache then Virtualmin.
May be the mistake was not to install Virtualmin directly (including Webmin).
That is the only mistake I can think of.

The person that helps me on sysadmin based on his customer does not recommend the use of Webmin/Virtualmin at all.

I did use in the past Webmin/Virtualmin with Apache without big issue. Everything started going terribly bad when I switch to Nginx.
Here on this forum I was led to understand that Apache is better with Webmin/Virtualmin.
Therefore I came back to Apache.
Here I am // with problem of compatibility between apache and virtualmin/webmin

Was the install of PHP 7.4 standard w/ Debian wrong w/ Webmin/Virtualmin, yes.
That was before installing PHP that I need (BTW not for Wordpress).

Then why adding PHP 8.2 to the server be wrong w/ Webmin/Virtualmin ? Please explain.

That’s definitely a mistake.

I don’t know that it’s the cause of your problem, but, it’s recommended to start with a freshly installed OS and install Virtualmin using the install. script.

What you’re describing is not an incompatibility with Apache.

So I did this way nothing on the Debian and using https://www.virtualmin.com/download/
But I get immediatly an error.
Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 17.52.16

I checked in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualmin.list
there is a source :
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/debian-virtualmin-7.gpg] Index of /vm/7/gpl/apt virtualmin main

The log gives
Get:10 Index of /download/repository sarge Release.gpg [173 B]
Ign:10 Index of /download/repository sarge Release.gpg
Reading package lists…
W: GPG error: http://webmin.mirror.somersettechsolutions.co.uk/repository sarge Release: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D97A3AE911>
E: The repository ‘http://webmin.mirror.somersettechsolutions.co.uk/repository sarge Release’ is not signed.
W: GPG error: Index of /download/repository sarge Release: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D97A3AE911F63C51
E: The repository ‘Index of /download/repository sarge Release’ is not signed.
Downloading repository metadata: Failed with error: 100
[2023-03-04 19:05:06 CET] [ERROR] Something went wrong with the previous command. Exiting.

It looks like this issue happened to several persons.

I follow all the advices from Ilia
apt install --reinstall ca-certificates
I noted that /etc/apt/auth.conf.d/virtualmin.conf file is not present

You are definitely not installing on a freshly installed supported OS.

You either have pre-configured Webmin repositories, or you’re on a very old (unsupported) OS.

The OS is new Debian 11.
I only add a Webmin repository AFTER getting the initial error.
But I did missed the very first error log that was :
E: The repository ‘cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 11.6.0 Bullseye - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20221217-10:40] bullseye Release’ does not have a Release file.
Downloading repository metadata: Failed with error: 100
The error about repository was about the repository cdrom://[Debian… NOT Webmin or Virtualmin

UPDATE
After removing the Webmin repository
After removing the repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU…
then using sh virtualmin-install.sh --uninstall
and apt install --reinstall ca-certificates
It was ok : Success

Thank you for your care Joe.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.