SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version FEDORA 39
Webmin version 2.105
Usermin version 2.005

I get the following error when i try to install usermin (any version) :

dnf install usermin-2.005-1.noarch

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.005-1.noarch from webmin-noarch

why are you installing manually, shouldn’t this be in repo?

What about just “dnf install usermin” ?

Isn’t it installed and this just a upgrade.

Should be installed did you try to access it from

http://yourserveraddress:20000 ?

The same Error occurred installing thru the repo

dnf install usermin

Error:
Problem: conflicting requests

• nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.000-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
  • nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.001-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
  • nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.002-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
  • nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.003-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
  • nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.004-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
  • nothing provides /bin/rm needed by usermin-2.005-1.noarch from webmin-noarch
    (try to add ‘–skip-broken’ to skip uninstallable packages)

It was installed with F38 but i got the same error when i try to upgrade to F39.
Uninstall usermin so i can upgrade to F39.

It was n’t installed, when i try to access it :

Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 127.0.0.1:20000.

repo "webmin-noarch" is not an official supported Fedora repo, what happens if you disable that for the upgrade:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=39 --disablerepo=webmin-noarch
sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot --disablerepo=webmin-noarch

then when it's in Fedora 39, try "dnf upgrade" with your normal webmin-noarch being enabled as usual and see if it updates your usermin

you said you can't uninstall usermin-noarch but why not, is there a dependency problem where it would make you uninstall too much else? 

OR remove it then

rpm -e --nosignature usermin-2.004-1.noarch

This is a misfeature in the package. I thought @Jamie had already fixed it. It was reported on github a week or two ago. Usermin shouldn’t depend on rm, by path or otherwise.

Yes, we have fixed it for Webmin and I just recently found out that we forgot to do it for Usermin 2.005.

You can try installing nightly version of Usermin which fixes this problem.

I know that “webmin-noarch” is not an official supported Fedora repo, but I had no problem with Fedora’s previous upgrades. For upgrade F38 → F39 i had this specific error with usermin package and i had to unistall it to continue with Fedora Upgrade to F39.

I have reinstall webmin-noarch repo following the instructions from " Downloading and Installing | Webmin " and i have the same error installing Usermin from the webmin repo or with manual download the rpm.

There is something wrong with the package dependencies

Can you help me, where to find nightly version of Usermin?

Update: Found it. And It worked!

1 Like

on my RedHat 8 system, /bin/ is a symlink to /usr/bin/ and in there I find RM :smile:

isn’t RM (‘remove’ aka ‘delete’) a very common/standard/old utility? Why would it not be on his system, regardless if usermin has a dependency or not?

It would be, but it wouldn’t show up as a provided if it’s on a different path in the package.

It should not be a dependency of the package. It was added, I’m sure, because some crazy user in the distant past tried to install Webmin on a system with a bunch of missing core stuff, and Jamie wanted to avoid that situation. But, it’s not reasonable to accommodate bizarrely stripped down systems
it’s reasonable to expect a user installing Webmin is doing so on a normal Linux system with the basic core utilities available. Base OS (which rm is a part of) is not included in dependencies in standard OS packages and we shouldn’t include it either.

We’ll fix this in the next build of the Usermin package. I guess I only did it for Webmin in the latest release

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.