Php version 5.6.40 on Virtualmin

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version REQUIRED
Webmin version REQUIRED
Virtualmin version REQUIRED
Related packages SUGGESTED

I have some websites that running with php version 5.6.40. Does the Virtualmin support php 5.6.40 version?

Thank you.

Nobody supports a version of php that was end of life 4 years ago. There have been no security updates for it since November of 2018.

Use it at your own risk.

Virtualmin will work with any PHP version.

CentOS 7 is the oldest currently maintained OS that you can use with Virtualmin and it has PHP 5.4.16 in the OS repos. There are no maintained 5.6.x versions, however, so if your application doesn’t work on the CentOS 5.4.16 version, you’ll need to update it to work on a newer distribution with some maintained PHP 7 version.

It is not safe to run an unmaintained version of PHP; I don’t know of anyone maintaining PHP 5.6.x packages of PHP.

I usually strong discourage deploying new systems with CentOS 7 currently, since it will reach EOL in a few months, but in your case, it may be a reasonable stop-gap until you can upgrade your apps to work with a current version of PHP.

Is there any Ubuntu version that will support php 5? I don’t care if it php 5.6.40 or php 5.4. I am interested for any version of php 5.

But you say that Virtualmin support all php version. Could I have for example Ubuntu 22 and all versions of php (from 5 to 8)?

Also, do you offer support in Virtualmin Professional?

Finally do you also have hosting services or can I use my own server too?

Thank you.

You’re misunderstanding:

Will it RUN? Sure. It’ll run.

Will anybody “SUPPORT” it? No. Again, it was end of life 4 years go. It’s not a secure version of php and should not be used. Nobody supports it. You can run it on pretty much anything, but if you start having problems and get security breeches, you’re on your own.

We absolutely do not support unmaintained PHP versions, regardless of whether it is GPL or Pro. It is not safe to run unmaintained PHP versions. Virtualmin will work with whatever PHP version you throw at it. But, you should not throw unmaintained PHP versions at it.

We do not offer hosting services. We make software.

Ubuntu has not had PHP 5 since 14.04 LTS, which reached end of life years ago, and I don’t think you can even get ESM support for it at this point. Xenial (which does have ESM support available for $75/year per server) has PHP 7, so it’s right out.

You need to update your apps to work with a maintained version of PHP. You’re going to spend a lot more effort trying to find some combination of OS and packages that works, only to deploy an immediately exploitable system. Just update your apps and deploy to a modern OS! It’s less work. It’s more secure.

ok, I understand what you say but until i update my websites I need a system to run them all.

So, you tell me a compination to use temporarely the php 5 until I update them.

Thank you.

No idea you haven’t said which distro your using but tbf i would follow the advice of others, once you have backed up your sites it takes no time to re install the os and restore the web sites. Or are you using some php that requires some functions that have been removed in later versions of php … if the latter i would get newer version of the php app or recode it

I already told you. The only distribution I know of that we support that has PHP 5 is CentOS 7. If you must use PHP 5, then that’s the only supported configuration I can offer you. CentOS 7 has PHP 5.4.16, and it is maintained by the Red Hat folks, so it is probably reasonably safe to use.

Edit: And, you can only use that until June of 2024, which is when CentOS 7 reaches EOL. It may be that Red Hat will continue to offer paid support for RHEL 7, though, so I guess you could go that route instead. We, however, will end our support for CentOS 7 (and RHEL 7) when their public repos reach EOL. (Though nothing prevents you from continuing to use it. We, of course, do not disable anything on EOL systems, we just stop updating our repos for those systems and remove installer support.)

ok.

I will setup a server with CentOS 7 and I will come back to you to help me with Virtualmin Pro if it is needed.

Thank you.

this looks interesting to upgrade your code.

This will be awesowe if works.

I will check it.

Could you send me instructions how can I do it?

Thank you.

There’s also a way to use PHP 5.6 on Ubuntu 20.04 or even 22.04,

Of course there’s a way. Nobody ever said there wasn’t.

What part of it is NOT SUPPORTED BY ANYBODY and HAS HAD NO SECURITY UPDATES SINCE NOVEMBER 2018 did you not understand?

Anybody can use it. It works just fine. That has been stated before in this thread.

But when your site gets hacked to ribbons, nobody on this planet is going to do anything at all about it because it is NOT SUPPORTED.

That is what END OF LIFE means - use it at your own risk because NOBODY supports it anymore.

I know people that still use Windows XP. Every time they get hacked to ribbons, they simply reformat and start all over again with the same OS. Why, I have no idea. It’s just the way some folks are.

But it’s very, very, very bad advice to tell someone to use something and show them ways to use it when it is NOT SUPPORTED AT ALL and can lead to almost certain doom.

ok Gomez_Adams

I have understood very well that it is not supported and has security issues but I must find a temporarily solution until I will update my websites.

However, I have asked instructions about the Rector in my last post.

Do you know anyone that could update my websites to the latest version of joomla and php also?

Thank you.

I wouldn’t even mess with that.

I would just do it the old fashioned, tried and true way: step by step in php.

I would go from 5.6 to 7.0 first.

Once you get to 7.0 and sort out any issues that pop up (if there are any at all) then you can upgrade as you need to step by step to get it where you want it.

Each version took steps to convert things as you move up, so it should be pretty easy to do. You just have to take it one step at a time to be on the safe side.

If memory serves, Joomla 4 runs on 7.2.5 minimum, but it prefers 8. I can only assume you’re on 1.5 or something along those lines, but Joomla gives you step by step migration instructions on their site.

If you go the Joomla way, you don’t have to bother with the PHP steps. Just do the migration to a new box with a new OS and php 8.

I was replying to Joe’s accepted answer. Didn’t mean to trigger you :grimacing:

I didn’t read your replies to be honest. I have to read them to understand. I just skipped through them. So I wasn’t aware of your ANYBODY NOBODY :poop:. I apologize. I’m sorry if you thought my reply was directed to you in anyway. It wasn’t.

And yes, you rise a valid point. People should avoid PHP 5.6, even PHP 7.0.

But the accepted answer suggest that only way to get PHP 5.6 is by using CentOS 7. I was replying to that.