On every message, warning: connect to Milter service local:/var/run/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock: No such file or directory

Ubuntu 20.04

This is a fresh install, with everything on defaults. After enabling rate limiting the problem started.

On every message we got:

warning: connect to Milter service local:/var/run/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock: No such file or directory

There is no directory /var/run/milter-greylist and google shows this was a problem in 2007:

We tried to create the directory, but no luck.

Nothing peculiar in the Milter configuration too:

cat /etc/postfix/main.cf | grep milter
milter_default_action = accept
milter_protocol = 2
smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891,local:/var/run/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock
non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:8891,local:/var/run/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock

Well what is bit strange, is port 8891 in the configuration above, but I tested and that port is open:

telnet localhost 8891
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

The service is started and there is the error:

Greylist Mail Filter Daemon: disabled, see /etc/default/mil>

Solution: ENABLED=1 in /etc/default/milter-greylist

Please assist me in finding the source code for Virtualmin Greylist Perl script so that I can change that?

Next problem with every message:

milter-greylist: GeoIP is not available

Documented here:

You don’t change the greylist script, and it is not a Virtualmin provided package. It comes from the Ubuntu repos.

The file to modify is /etc/default/milter-greylist. It should have been done for you, though, so maybe something has changed on Ubuntu 20.04 (since 20.04 is thoroughly systemd, I’d assume it has and we just haven’t sorted out the differences). To be clear: I doubt this is still relevant. I don’t think you enable/disable things with /etc/default files, anymore, in Ubuntu 20.04, but I’ll have to look into it.

GeoIP should not be enabled. I have never seen it enabled by default. You almost certainly should not use GeoIP in milter-greylist.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.