Multiple questions regarding new Virtualmin installation

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu server 22.04
Virtualmin version 7.1-1

Good day all,
So I have just set up virtualmin for the first time and I have multiple questions that I hope I may get assistance with. May I list all questions in one go or how does the forum prefer I ask?

Hello @markdewet and welcome to the community.

I can confirm that this is the correct place to ask questions.

Note:

1. it would help if you could create a seperate topic for the questions that you ask which are not related to each other - i e. don’t bunch all your questions under one topic please
  2. take a quick look at Forum Guidelines: Please read before posting! if you have not done so already
1 Like

Good day calport, Ok, fair enough thank you. So my first question is as follows:
I have my own domain, paid for, hosted at an external service provider (domains.co.za). Is there any way in Virtualmin to use the server provider’s name servers and DNS records as opposed to using the BIND DNS records installed when setting up? Ideally I would love to remove BIND altogether.

Yes, you can. You could use the control panel offered by domains.co.za to set the A, MX and other DNS records to the IP of your Virtualmin server. This manual setup of the domain will work perfectly well with Virtualmin.

I suggest you keep it installed for a while… as someone who is new to Virtualmin, it would be a good idea to stick with the defaults and not carry out too many customisations at this early stage in your journey.

Thank you, calport, yes I understand that, those DNS records are already set up. My question is, how do I then configure Virtualmin to use those records and preferably remove BIND completely? My set up is hosted at home as I have a static external IP address so I have unrestricted access to the server.

The best thing to do would be to set up ns1.yourdomain.tld and ns2.yourdomain.tld as vanity nameservers so that you could point yourdomain.tld as well as any clientdomians.tld that you want to host on the Virtualmin system to your vanity nameservers instead of using the nameservers of domain.co.za but you need to set up glue records etc. and you might be getting ahead of yourself if you do that at this early juncture in your journey with Virtualmin.

I recommend that you get a few domains configured and working on Virtualmin so that you learn your way around the system before you try any of the advanced stuff.

You need not do anything to get Virtualmin to use the dns records that you have manually configured at domain.co.za. I am oversimplifying tremendously but you can treat this as true at this juncture.

Thank you, calport, I already have one domain set up, my own domain, which is gmcomputers.co.za. The landing page loads fine from internal network and external network, so I am assuming all is working fine for now. I do however want to migrate my website from XAMPP to Virtualmin, so this is why I am asking (which will be my next question/topic)

You are most welcome. For your second domain, you could set it up as you have the first - manually via the control panel of domains.co.za.

If you feel you are ready to setup your own vanity nameservers then please search the Virtualmin docs and these forums and then proceed. Feel free to create a new topic to ask the community any questions you may have about setting up nameservers in Virtualmin.

Thank you, sir, much appreciated. I I may, relating to this topic, how would I change the default virtual server to point to my web content? I know I need to move the entire directory containing my content into /home/gmcomputers/public_html/, however, I am unsure where to change the settings to point to the newly created directory. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am used to XAMPP, it is however, no longer suitable for my needs.

Virtualmin points the domains web root to this directory by default when a new virtual server is created. You need not do anything else.

Look at the Edit Server menu option to set web root, in case you want to point the domain to some other directory.

See

https://archive.virtualmin.com/node/7557

Thank you, sir, I will look into the Server settings.

Just don’t? Put your web content there.

I’m sorry, Joe, I don’t understand? I thought that was where all web content for a specific virtual server was to be placed?

Yes.

But, then you said:

Which you should not do, in the general case. You don’t need to change settings, and most users should not change this option. Put your web content directly in public_html.

I mean, don’t create a new directory. You have a directory where your web content should go, and it is /home/domainname/public_html.

Ok, I must admit, I am a little confused now. When I installed roundcube, it created a new sub-directory, like so: /home/gmcomputers/public_html/roundcube, so I assumed it would be the same with my content like so: /home/gmcomputers/public_html/gmcomputers and then just point Apache to that folder. In fact I would prefer that to be honest.

You choose where to install scripts when you install them. It defaults to a subdirectory with the same name as the script.

You can choose where to put your own content, as well, but if you change the DocumentRoot for your virtual server to be public_html/gmcomputers you’re going to break that roundcube installation (because it will no longer be in the DocumentRoot).

It is a good practice to put your scripts into their own subdir, if they will be sharing the domain with other content…but, something should be in that base directory (public_html) even if it’s just an index page that directs to a subdirectory (but, i don’t do that…I put my primary web app or content directly into public_html, and any ancillary scripts or apps or whatever goes into subdirs that are linked to from the main one).

Ah, I understand, thank you, Joe, Ok, I will look into perhaps putting a single file in public_html to redirect to my content elsewhere. Thank you again.

I installed wordpress to root and roundcube has in own folder. this what it look like in the file manager.
This might give you what you should be doing.
So all your content for the gmcomputers website should be in root, dont add another folder for it.
Have you created a web site locally?

Hi stefan1959, Yes, That is what Have done and I have implemented a .htaccess file to redirect the URL to the new folder. It is working well, except it is appending the folder name to the end of the URL, so I am now trying to fix that.
Edit: Ok, THAT issue fixed. Now on to the next one. Will open a new post.