In a BIND Again

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.2
Webmin version 2.021
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.7
Theme version 20.21
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

A problem with a site (just a new VS domain) added yesterday.
LE was added OK domain has propagated (DNS Checker).
But Today I cannot load the default page :scream: - nothing!
Saw that the BIND server was not running ??
and unresponsive to start (may have been like this for a while) - just noticed :person_shrugging:t2:
Tried to investigate Webmin -> Servers -> BIND DNS Server -> Check BIND Config
and get this

There are 2 other VS on this box both seem to be operating ok (but have not thoroughly checked them)
Any suggestions

found this
https://www.incredigeek.com/home/named-error-option-dnssec-enable-no-longer-exists/

1 Like

To fix the issue, simply open up the /etc/named.conf file and delete the line that has ‘dnssec-enable’

Wasn’t there but found in /etc/named.conf.options = done - BIND restarted OK - thank you @stefan1959

curious what the update was?
Don’t know why it was there if no longer required @staff - I don’t go into these files (first time).

1 Like

Did you perhaps enable DNSSEC validation in the BIND DNS Server module? That’s the only place dnssec-enable is set…

Not to my knowledge. I have only recently found that such a thing as BIND was in Virtualmin due to that other error that was reported to me by Virtualmin in a previous post (and that was on a different box)

As indicated in the op this is on a box that has been ticking over happily with 2 domains and all I have done is added a new VS (domain.click). Now day 3 and it is still not visible (Yes I know only one subject per topic - so I’ll add this later) but I thought the issue of BIND was the cause.

The BIND issue has been resolved as above I was just curious what had caused it.

1 Like

Was the BIND package upgraded recently? I believe that dnssec-enable option was removed recently…

@Stegan your box is on ubuntu 22.04 so your bind version is 9.18.12. To verify run the command named -v
Have a look at the Release Notes for BIND9 v9.18.12
@Jamie BIND 9.16.0-1ubuntu1 came out for ubuntu 20.04 (focal) in Feb 2020.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.