Huge cpu load by process journalctl -u postfix* -u dovecot*

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Webmin version 2.105
Virtualmin version 7.10.0 Pro
Related packages SUGGESTED
hi i have stopped clamav + postfix + dovecot startup on boot from system/booutup and shutdown because i don’t use this services, but sometimes a process “journalctl -u postfix* -u dovecot*” have a huge cpu load. How can i disable that ?
thx

Two things:

Virtualmin thinks you’re processing mail on the system, but you aren’t. You should tell Virtualmin about that in Features and Plugins.

You must have a lot of stuff going on in the journal for it to take a long time for that command to chew up a lot of CPU. You should figure out what that is. It should be almost instant for a system that isn’t hosting mail; obviously if you have no Postfix or Dovecot log entries, there would be nothing to ingest, so I think the only reason it’d be slow is if the journal is huge and growing fast for other reasons. So, look at the journal to see what’s happening on your system that you don’t know about.

hi, where is features and plugins ? From all my virtuals servers theses services (mail and antivirus) are disabled)

ok thx, not disabled on one virtual server. solved

1 Like

Same on my side but it’s still going on even after disabling the features. It usually runs every 5 min during about 15 - 20 seconds.
I checked postfix and dovecot journal but nothing seems weird. As I’m not an expert, I’d like to know if I need to check something else.

These are the 2 processes running.
|26448|root|88.6%|journalctl-u postfix*-u dovecot*|
|26279|root|21.6%|/usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl

You could be hardware limited? There is a recommended minimum on the resources, but, doesn’t mean it is really enough depending on what else is running.

I’m on a VPS with a 2-core CPU at 2.6 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, and 2 GB of swap. Seven websites are running with a few visits every month. PHP-FPM is on demand for all of them. No mail is running now, though I had mail running on a virtual server that I deleted. I never succeeded in making SASL authentication work, so I decided to forget the idea of using emails on the server.

I think I’ll just reinstall the server to have a fresh system, tell Virtualmin right at the beginning of the configuration that I don’t want to run the mail server, and restore all virtual servers.

We’ll see how it goes.

No more crazy processes after reinstalling the server. I know it’s quite radical but I now feel better.

Yeah. Nothing like knowing you have a clean, working system.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem. journalctl-u postfix*-u dovecot* & /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl are literally using 100% of cpu most of the time.

Any way to fix it ?