HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/1.540 - Error - Perl execution failed

Greetings,

I’ve been using Virtualmin GPL on a Centos5.5 (now 5.6) server for a few months on a server and it has been working flawlessly. Up until today. Last night things were peachy keen, I was happily coding on my site, checking apache error logs,etc via the virtualmin admin interface.

Today, I opened my email box to see that my server is apparently attempting to autoreply to every email that comes in. So first thing I did was attempt to login to the virtualmin backend and I’m presented with the following:

HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/1.540 Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 23:42:34 GMT Content-type: text/html Connection: close
Error - Perl execution failed

Undefined subroutine &virtual_server::show_domain_name called at /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server/virtual-server-lib-funcs.pl line 110.

It’s on ever frame, the references are different. The right frame shows the “configure this page | refresh system information | Virtualmin Documentation” links then lists this:

HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/1.540 Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 23:42:35 GMT Content-type: text/html Connection: close
Error - Perl execution failed

Undefined subroutine &virtual_server::licence_warning_message called at /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server-theme/right.cgi line 115.

I’ve run yum update to make sure all the packages were up to date and to make sure that my host hadn’t rolled something back. Everything appears to be in order. The only threads I found on the error were old with outdated links. I did find one link that had resolved that person’s issue, but to no avail here. I literally have no access to anything on the backend.

Web pages served fine, ssh works, ftp works. Only thing that appears to be having any sort of issue is the mail server with the sudden attempts to auto-reply to every piece of mail.

Howdy,

Where I’d suggest starting with that is stopping Webmin (/etc/init.d/webmin stop), and then run a “ps auxw | grep miniserv | grep webmin” to make sure there aren’t any old or “stuck” Webmin processes.

Sometimes, you can see the problem you’re having if a process running an older Webmin version exists.

If it does, kill it, then restart Webmin.

-Eric

Thanks for the tip Eric, sadly it didn’t help. I stop webmin then run the ps|grep and find none of webmin’s stuff running at all. I’ve even rebooted the vps to be sure.

Well… I’m not sure what the bug itself was. In the end, I ended up fully removing virtualmin/webmin and did fresh install. Seems to have cleared it up. Only noticed an error with spamassassin rules not updating on install but I’ll address that outside of this.

Hrm, well that’s all unusual, but I’m glad it’s working now!

You can update SpamAssassin rules by running the “sa-update” command on the command line.

-Eric

I have this issue and it has been triggered due to a ‘server’ restore from image that was needed on the server, can you tell me how to reinstall webmin?

Nice product, all you have to do to fix the errors - remove and install again. Really nice approach guys.