How to Install PostGreSQL

Should we install PostGreSQL thru VirtualMin somehow so he knows about it? If so, how.

If not, then how to proceed?

Thanks!

I should add: of course we can install it ourselves, but I note on the list of apps that PostGreSQL is there, just not checked. So I mean, how do we install properly so that VirtualMin knows about it.<br><br>Post edited by: katir@hindu.org, at: 2008/05/11 11:31

PostgreSQL is installed during the Virtualmin install process…all you need to do is choose to use it in Virtualmin in the Features and Plugins page (in the System Settings menu). If you check the “default” box, it’ll be enabled for new virtual servers by default.

As for installing software, we always recommend you use the OS standard packages whenever possible–this is an opinion I hold very strongly, unless you know exactly what you’re doing and know why you need some other kind of package. On a CentOS 5 system like yours you would use yum to install packages. Webmin provides a System Packages module that provides a GUI frontend for yum–and usually, if you try to do something in Virtualmin that requires a package that isn’t installed it will try to use yum to install it (and possibly fall back to using CPAN or Ruby Gems or similar).

But, as I mentioned, you shouldn’t need to install anything in order to use PostgreSQL. If you do, something is broken in our installer, and we’d want to know about it.

Jai Ganesha! Already installed … Sweet!

OK I get it. you just have the default for PostGreSQL off for new domains "Virtual servers" Makes sense, since MySQL is on…

And to think that Plesk charges for this and also provides no decent GUI to PostGreSQL users, groups and grants (like you do)

I’m grinning from ear-to-ear. Thank you.

Sivakatirswami

I'm grinning from ear-to-ear. Thank you.

That’s what we like to hear! We’d also like to quote you on that, if you don’t mind? :wink:

If lets say we added PostgreSQL after a Virtual Server was created and it doesn’t show up in the server list how can we get it to show up ???

Thanks for any and all help !!!

At least two places:

1. System Settings -> Features and Plugins

2. Select your virtual server
    -> Edit Virtual Server -> Enabled features