Full compatible distro for Cloudmin?

I know, but all our servers are alma 8 and the cloudmin is to install test virtual machines to test new configurations and migrations. We like to keep all our server the same for configuration reasons. Thats why i asked if the new cloudmin would be also for alma 8.

I know, but Randomz asked what the incompatibilites are and i answered, that’s the polite thing to do.

Another reason we don’t use alma 9 yet is the network setup. All our servers have bonding and with ifcfg files that supper easy to install and manage. After a migration, the ip addresses are also moved, so its important that can be done swift and fast.

I know haw to revert back to ip tables, but didn’t find anything on reverting back to ifcfg. If someone knows a guide, please let me know. That is the only thing that keeps me from installing the cloudmin on alma 9. For customer servers we will keep using alma 8 as long as we can.

thank you

Any update on the progress of the new installer ??

Thanks
Michael

@staff Any news on this
???

@Joe I’m looking at you Joe, can I get an answer here ???

I mean I’ve been using Debian 12 with success for quite some time now… Works great actually a bit of a wild man to install VirtualMin On the KVM it was but found a way to go about it thank heavens took a couple goes at it doing it via my method but once it was up and going worked like a champ.

Things I’d love to see:

• Debian 12 ISO for Setting up the KVM
  • Ability to download the backup rather than having to use a directory on the server or a remote FTP it would be awfully nice to have the same Backup Options In Cloudmin As Virtual Min where you can download the whole system backup essentially in a Zip… Would simplify everything for me and everyone for that matter.

Hi

I have now given up waiting for a working install script, its plainly obvious its not coming any time soon, and when I mean soon I’m talking in the next 2 years if at all. @Joe spoke about a new working script in git hub 2 years ago “once VM7 was released” but nothing … crickets. The chances of you getting your feature requests are even slimmer.

We have now purchased and deployed Virtfusion it works with Debian 12 out of the box and is a breeze to administrate.

Michael

@Shirehosting

Up to 35 servers/hypervisor for $15 USD/month or $18 USD for unlimited.

Seems like a reasonable price I mean technically speaking KVM is free we are just paying to simplify the process what is being done here can be done free of charge we are essentially paying for working scripts and “SUPPORT” at the end of the day so I get your frustration. We are at a point in society where society has woke up and realized time is the most valuable asset we have. But there is still the long game it’s like all good things take time. With software and tech it can be quite some time before you have a polished product and updates complicate things greatly.

But in my mind from all the things I’ve looked at THIS IS THE BEST PROJECT FOR HYPERVISOR! If you understand what they are doing here they’ve essentially made a monumental task the obvious dream is to support all operating systems to varying degrees and to support all types of VM’s there is NO and I repeat NO OTHER PROJECT NO MATTER THE PRICE! That even comes close. There are much larger teams making way more money doing way less. But the interoperability isn’t there I use this specific OS and this specific type of virtualization and that is that.

Its that reason I’ve donated 100.00 and I’ve paid for the sub for both virtualmin and cloudmin. It is the best hypervisor out there.

It isn’t polished yes this much is true! It is a buggy script, it is difficult to get up and running your first go at it but once you find the method it works repeatably.

Don’t stop supporting the project once they get out their polishers and they get this thing polished I assure you you won’t be disappointed they need all the funding they can get! If they go public or get investors who want a stake in what they are doing the price goes up and we wind up with VMWare that is why it is critical the community pledges support.

Gotta shine a lite on the bigger picture.

Not saying you are not welcome to have some frustration you are I was there but I understand what they are doing here at a slightly deeper level I presume. This is Virtfusion, Cockpit, Xen Orchestra, Docker, Proxmox, Solaris Zones, Proxmox. IT IS ALL OF THEM IN ONE SOFTWARE!!! let that sink in think about it. And it doesn’t work on only one OS it can work on nearly every OS with a little work for the Hypervisor. Amazing isn’t it. Worth supporting.

The task is monumental the end is worth the means. These are good guys man I assure you at the same time they are running Virtualmin which took off because they were early to the game on hypervisors I believe. In most aspects this is a more polished than other hypervisors but installation and functionality of things were trashed by updates. No more flash or Java killed a lot of the tools that are used updates have things pointed in the wrong direction looking for the wrong file names.

There is more to do than update the script we also need functional management plugins luckily they put a lot of them in there and I was able to use one of them to deploy virtualmin to the installed KVM.

Also, in debian 12 it is important to note Terminal has issues you must type reset before using it I almost wonder if this couldn’t be scripted really to issue a reset in terminal at startup and ignore the first string output.

Yeah I mean at its core it is fixable but they will have to hunker down and spend a couple of months correcting everything and develop some replacement plugins as many of the plugins are software that is not being developed or supported so not only do they have to develop the plugin they have to get on github and get the software working as well so do you see how the problem easily becomes exponential when you have limited resources? And you are placing this limited resources on two great projects. I see it in them they are being forced to slim down the project and not support as much even though there is a bone in them that doesn’t want to and we should be damn happy that bone is still there the vision is grand it’s the largest vision in this space!

Now remember don’t shoot the messenger I’m just trying to give the 10,000ft view of things the bigger picture and hopefully provide clarity.

Have you asked them to help you deploy Cloudmin? I mean I’m pretty sure they would help you bud if you are paying for support.