Follow-up question to installation

hello - as per this thread:

i was duly warned to avoid “third-party” packages. :smiley:

my installation procedure contains the following code:

dnf  --assumeyes  install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-8.noarch.rpm ;
rpm --query --all | grep epel ;
dnf  --assumeyes  install https://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi-release-8.rpm ;
rpm --query --all  | grep remi ;

would Epel and Remi be considered third-party in this case?

Where did you get this installation procedure?

EPEL is generally safe and somewhat tested, and we use it for some packages that are missing from the CentOS standard repos. It is closely related to CentOS…somewhere between third-party and “official”.

Remi is a third-party repo. It is a good one (reasonably well maintained, reasonably compliant with packaging guidelines). But, it will absolutely break installation of Virtualmin, so do not enable it before installation of Virtualmin.

And, I’ll remind you again, in no uncertain terms: If you’re going to install things from third party sources, you cannot do it before installing Virtualmin. This is absolutely non-negotiable. When you run install.sh it should be on a freshly installed supported operating system; don’t pre-install/pre-configure any packages and don’t enable third party repos.

Why are you enabling Remi? What specific packages do you need from that repo that are not available from CentOS, EPEL, or SCL? If you don’t know, you shouldn’t enable it.

1 Like

yes indeed, from now on I install webmin-virtualmin first before doing anything else, and will continue to do so in the future.

I have a collection of bash scripts that do all the new-server installations for me. i believe that Remi is part of my collection at one time to install a more current PHP which was required several years ago.

but your point is well taken. i will remove it since now there is no current need for it. Centos-8 has php7.2 by default.

once again, thank you very much.

side-note: virtualmin seems to install considerably faster on C8 than it did on C7.

and C8 seems to have removed vim by default, how strange.

There is no PHP5 on CentOS 8, among other things. Fewer packages, faster install.

SCL is generally how we recommend folks get newer versions of packages like PHP when necessary. (And Remi maintains some SCL packages.)

Yeah, I think they changed the default editor to nano, or something equally stupid. (Every editor other than vim is stupid.)

CentOS be it 6, 7 or 8 comes with vi installed, not vim. At least in minimum installs that is what I use.
I always have to install vim on the startup, actually installing it is on the bootstrap script for new servers.

huh - i dont ever remember installing vim before…?

Joe, you need to remember that vi(m) is VERY user friendly. its just very selective who its friends are. :grin: :smile:

Do you use a minimal install iso and minimal install profile on setup? Almost certain it depends on the selected packages for system setup

when i use VirtualBox for preliminary testing, i typically select desktop or full-desktop, something like that, since i like having the browser there to seek out needed downloads.
but when installing from interserver, you are not given any options except for which OS & a couple of versions. i suspect its minimal. i have found no real difference for what i am doing.

I see. Well from my experience is if you download the centos minimal and do the install and select the minimal install profile it doesn’t install vim, only vi. But I get that other install templates have it.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.