Dovecot.conf failure

Support,

As I have reported in the past, when I make changes to my domain configuration, it breaks dovecot.conf

I just installed Virtualmin 6.2 on both Debian 9 and Debian 10… the installs went flawlessly.

But, when I went into “Server Configuration” and “Change Domain Name”… the next time I rebooted, dovecot fails to start.

PROBLEM: The dovecot.conf file still has the old domain name.

Thx!

Hi,

When this issue happened did you have installed both latest Webmin 1.955 and Virtualmin 6.12 on the system?

See the note on this post: Webmin 1.955 released

Hi IIia, I assume it was 1.955/6.12, since it was installed 2 nights ago. That Debian 10 install was overwritten with the Debian 9 test install a few minutes later.

The current Debian 9 install has 1.955/6.12… but although I’ve created 2 domains, Virtualmin has written nothing to the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file so I am unable to test the validity of “if it’s working” or not. : (

I will do another Debian 10 install tonight to test.

Joe, really appreciate all the efforts you’ve put into fixing these dovecot issues. Since this install was new and I haven’t modified the dovecot.conf file, I assume it’s not corrupted…

But your note is causing me to check my production server… thx!

REQUEST: Would you mind posting what you consider to be a proper dovecot.conf file ??? I know that one of my dovecot files looks like this:

local 11.22.33.44 {
  protocol imap {
    ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
    ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.newkey
  }
  protocol pop3 {
    ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
    ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.newkey
  }
}

local_name domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name www.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name mail.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name smtp.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name pop.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name pop3.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name imap.domain1.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain1.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain1.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain1.com/ssl.ca
}

local_name domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name www.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name mail.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name smtp.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name pop.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name pop3.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}
local_name imap.domain2.com {
  ssl_cert = </home/domain2.com/ssl.cert
  ssl_key = </home/domain2.com/ssl.key
  ssl_ca = </home/domain2.com/ssl.ca
}

All of those ssl_ca lines are wrong and should not exist.