Do I need Virtualmin for a single domain server?

CentOS 7

I am trying to set up a mailserver for a client, mailserver dot domain dot com, and I thought using Webmin would make the task easier. I thought I had it configured correctly using this tutorial:

However, the connection is refused when I try and connect to port 587, either remotely or when ssh’d into the machine, and will connect to port 25 if ssh’d in but just hangs if it’s remotely. According to this post, in Virtualmin there is a way to tell the server to use a certificate and have it also be used for postfix, which seems to have fixed the issue for that person:

However, while I do have a Let’s Encrypt cert installed for the hostname, I do not see a way in Webmin to do this. I am not even 100% sure that’s the problem, but I am having trouble finding up to date articles on how to do this. Does anyone know of a recent tutorial (ie. that works with the current version of Webmin) that explains this or can think of what I might be missing? Note that under Networking → Firewalls it says:

No iptables(6) bootup action was found, indicating that the IPtables package is not installed on your system

so I am assuming the ports are all open. Any help is appreciated.

-Michael

You have installed Webmin, you say, however the message of mine that you have quoted pertains to Virtualmin.

I would urge you to install Virtualmin via the automated installer, even for your use case.

To answer your question: yes, even for a single domain you could benefit from using Virtualmin.

@calport - thanks. The Virtualmin download page says that the preferred way to install is using a script, but that it should only be use on a fresh install without Webmin installed, and that the other downloads should only be used by people who know what they are doing, yet have no instructions:

Do I need to start over? Or is there a way to add Virtualmin as a plugin to Webmin? Last time I used Webmin, which was quite a few years ago, I am pretty sure you installed Webmin first and then added Virtualmin and Usermin afterwards… is that no longer the case?

-Michael

Edit: Found the documentation, looks like it will be easier to wipe the machine and start over, thanks. :slight_smile:

If you aren’t an expert with Virtualmin and all the services you’ll be using, you should start over. It is wildly complicated to get all the right pieces working together to make a nice hosting experience.

That has never been the recommended way to install Virtualmin (at least not since the install script was released in about 2005). The recommended way to install Virtualmin is found on the download page.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Microsoft blocking mail from some cloud providers

I did, I wiped the server and started over, worked like a charm, email worked out of the box. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Michael

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.