Debian 8 no longer supported in the installer (but updates will continue until June)

Howdy all,

We’re removing installer support for Debian 8. It reached EOL upstream in 2018, but it still receives security updates until June of this year. But, something has changed upstream making Virtualmin installs fail, and since the OS is EOL and we don’t support installation on EOL operating systems, I’m just gonna remove it from the installer and our Grade A supported OS list rather than spend time resolving those issues.

Nobody should have been installing on Debian 8 at any point after June 2018 (really, even before that, as you should be making upgrade/migration plans a few months before your OS reaches EOL), anyway, but sometimes people cling to old distros like an old security blanket…so, I know there are still folks out there deploying new Debian 8 systems.

We’ll continue to maintain our Debian 8 repo and updates therein until June 2020 (when all updates stop upstream), but no new installations on Debian 8 will be supported.

Also be aware that CentOS/RHEL 6 also reaches end of life later this year. So, you shouldn’t be deploying new servers with that version of the OS, and should begin making migration plans over the coming months in order to move to CentOS 7 or CentOS 8 (support coming in a day or two).



NICE, but please maybe wait ? or take care for upcomming important 8.1 release before making Virtualmin / Webmin available for 8.x version CENTOS, could save you guys some support time i expect! :wink:

Minor versions of CentOS are binary compatible with each other. Generally speaking, when something supports, e.g. CentOS 7.0, it also supports 7.1, 7.2, 7.3. That’s part of the trade off you make with CentOS. In exchange for having (eventually) quite old versions of packages, you get stability over a long period of time (which is incredibly valuable for complex deployments!).

We don’t usually care about minor revisions. 8.1, 8.2, whatever…doesn’t matter. It’ll be supported once CentOS 8 is supported. We just have to make sure there’s a symbolic link in the repo for the new version (we don’t rebuild any of our stuff…it’s all the same), and do a little testing.