Cloudmin and Docker

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version Latest Pro
Cloudmin version Not sure if installed
Virtualmin version. 7.9.0 Pro

Good day

I would like to use Cloudmin to use docker to run Liferay.

1. How do I deploy Cloudmin in Virtualmin / Webmin to install Docker?
  2. Do I need a separate license to use Cloudmin?
  3. How do I setup a persistent volume for docker?

Any tips on using Cloudmin with Docker?

Much appreciated

Hennie

You need to start with cloudmin on your server not virtualmin.

Then you will need to install use the docker option there. Under host systems.

If you are using this for business I’d suggest buying the Pro Version so you can get some support honestly and it looks like you will be its a very reasonable fee yearly to ensure support otherwise you rely on people like me to support you which I’m not around all the time and don’t have as many answers as support would or access to solutions. So while its not a requirement it kind of is if you wan’t to be able to work through your issues and get support especially if its for a business!!! You won’t have access to all of the needed plugins without paying for the pro version you will be very limited and will have to figure many more things out on your own.

Thanks @forlotto

Much appreciated

Cloudmin doesn’t go “in” Virtualmin. If you’re visualizing where it fits, it’s above Virtualmin. It manages virtual machines, which may or may not be running Virtualmin. Both are modules of Webmin, plus a bunch of other packages.

It probably does not do what you want with Docker, because it isn’t really a good fit for what Docker is used for. In the not too distant future, Docker (or, rather, podman) support will be coming to Virtualmin, and it’ll probably be leaving Cloudmin completely (again, not a good fit).

But, for now, I doubt we have a Docker solution that fits your use case. It sounds like you want to run apps in Docker containers and manage it in Virtualmin…which we don’t have a good GUI solution for. (You certainly can run Docker contained apps on a Virtualmin server, I do it all the time…this forum runs in a container. And, you can manage proxy rules in Virtualmin, which is how a web server connects users to container apps.)

Cloudmin GPL is free. Cloudmin Pro is a wholly different product from Virtualmin Pro (and many people use one independently of the other), so, yes, it is separate license. But, for what I think you’re after, Virtualmin Pro will have it sometime in 2024, most likely, and Cloudmin doesn’t and won’t,

Thank you very much for your reply @Joe Much appreciated.

Cloudmin has docker in the menu to run a container and host a PC and run virtualmin on it or Liferay or whatever it is he wants to do with his container isn’t it?

If the docker function don’t work then why is it on the list of useable methods yeah IDK I guess you guys are speaking a different language than I am…

Cloudmin Host Systems

Have a look for yourself there is the list.

@hennie.dv you were trying to run a docker emulated host system correct?

If so it can be done according to the cloudmin panel you would simply have to install your software to that system after you SSH into it shouldn’t be an issue really maybe I’m missing something?

It works (probably, I haven’t tried it in a while, as it’s not very useful in the context of Cloudmin). It just doesn’t work the way people want to use Docker in a Virtualmin environment (it is not “in a Virtualmin environment” for starters).

Correct but it will work with what he needs it for.

Cloudmin is what he needs to be able to do what he wants to do which is emulate different machines and run one machine with virtualmin and another machine with liferay or whatever it was I believe that is what he was saying. That is why I was suggesting cloudmin because virtualmin does not have this ability to do such a thing you can’t just spin up emulated machines and run different os’s and software.

Virtualmin is more for the guy who wants to run several webhosts not actual full hosts that can run their own different dedicated software like he is talking about.

So I believe I was correct in my assumption. Cloudmin is far superior software although it may not be purchased or supported as often I think its time folks should get to know Cloudmin its good stuff! And I suggested the Pro Version so he can get some support for it because he may need it having a business don’t you agree I mean I run a business that’s why I got Pro in hopes I get some support security updates fixes and so forth…

Hi @forlotto @Joe Thanks for your responses

I am not reselling and am using Virtualmin to simplify managing my own server. I have a Pro subscription. My Linux knowhow is limited when it comes to setting up production environments.

I need to run a Tomcat app (Liferay) using the Docker image to have better control over the system, dependencies and updates. Tomcat also seem to perform better using Docker and my future challenge is to scale the system and maybe move it into the cloud.

So I am investigating if I should use Cloudmin with Virtualmin to create an optimal management environment.

Cloudmin will run your docker image. Virtualmin will not. As Joe said functionality has not been tested so you might run into some snags and if you do report back. Keep in mind Ubuntu and Debian are the supported OS’s. for cloudmin.

It would be nice to understand your end goal like what are you doing with the system is it a desktop enviornment ? Are you running websites or something different I mean what is your current enviornment now and what is its purpose what is it being used for is it going to be a webhost ? Or something else liferay is paid business software something that HP uses to provide support so I’m assuming you want to do a similar thing provide support and manage everything from liferay. I’m not sure if you use the desktop enviornment for this as well?

Virtualmin can’t deploy a docker image host system to the cloud but cloudmin can or “should be able to as Joe stated.” But he hasn’t tested it so if you hit any snags report back and get some support that is what a pro membership is for also pro give you more management options and tools and scripts to help make your job easier… So even if support is busy helping virtualmin lets say the more configuration and backup options and scripts and such the easier certain processes will be so if you want easier I’d get Pro it will also help you obtain support as you may run into trouble as indicated by Joe but it should work as he says but there is a possibility it will not that’s what these forms are for as well as the support messaging system. I use KVM host system not docker don’t mess with docker I mean I’ve tried it I’ve tried proxmox as well I prefer the min software Cloudmin to run VPS like instances in the cloud like your talking about.

So you should be able to take your docker image in theory and deploy that with cloudmin just remember first you will have to install either ubuntu or debian on your remote server and then install cloudmin to it. From there you should be able to setup ip’s networking bridge upload your image and setup docker host system and get your image with liferay running on that docker host system from which you will need to access via VNC and or SSH SCP or if its a desktop environment you could setup team viewer quite possibly or however. That would be the basic process of getting it going. There maybe a bit of a learning curve and a snag here or there but stick with it cloudmin is powerful software it allows endless possibility.

Thanks @forlotto @Joe

I’m using an Ubuntu 22.04 VPS provided by my ISP with Virtualmin Pro --minimal, MariaDB and JAVA11 installed. I am not using the desktop environment.

My end goal is a a Liferay portal werver using the community edition to host multiple domains. All domains pointing to Liferay is redirected by Liferay to the appropriate website within Liferay.

I will be using the Tomcat bundle Download Liferay Portal CE or Commerce as I don’t know Docker. This bundle is pre-configured to run Liferay optimally and I will need to deploy that a specific user from the command line. Liferay by default runs on port 8080.

What I’m not sure of is that a VS user has limited permissions which I suppose could influence dependencies, folder access, etc.

1. Should I deploy the Tomcat bundle under the default server or as a virtual server?
  2. If deployed as the default server, how do I direct the virtual server to access Tomcat/Liferay?

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.

Warning I think I missed some commas, periods, etc… Bad habbit not proof reading and editing sometimes.

Interesting yes so you will need something that can host VM’s like this so… Cloudmin would be the choice more or less.
From what you are telling me the Pat should be this:

Start a server with Ubuntu or Debian or a supported operating system for Cloudmin.
Then install cloudmin
Then setup networking and IP range for your system hosts if using same server.
Setup a system host for docker then use that host to host your docker image.
Next setup a Debian or Ubuntu or supported image for virtualmin whatever OS you use with your system host of choice I’m guessing docker.
Then Install Virtualmin to this host and this server will run your websites.
Thus you can have liferay do the direction to your websites.

A VM is being used no matter how you slice it. Why wouldn’t you want to manage it where you can easily back it up with cloudmin pro and such with all the plugins and tools at your disposal.

I’ve really only used KVM haven’t got into docker but shouldn’t be much different I wouldn’t think as far as options for management. If you are going to be handling this remotely you will need a method of management. So if you like the Min software “Virtualmin, Webmin, Cloudmin” for management can’t see why you wouldn’t use that it is a preference of mine however it doesn’t mean it must be your preference. Some folks like to do it without any software and do it manually. Others use Xen Orchestra, Cockpit, Proxmox, Harvester, VMware, or one of the many other types of software based on their needs and knowledge of and experience. Sounds to me like you have experience and knowledge of the Min Softawre being virtualmin so that’s the only reason why I suggest Cloudmin Pro as a potential option there is a bit of a learning curve as there is with any new thing but its very similar in operation you just have to understand what its doing to understand how to do it more or less picture it in your mind.

So you want to setup VPS instances this can be accomplished different ways. With cloudmin you could have one server with multiple cores and lots of ram and just run everything from a single server or you could have multiple servers they can be on network or off network etc… But your setting up multiple systems with cloudmin that’s its purpose multiple emulated systems be it on one server or several servers or cluster etc. Limitations are only knowledge with Min software so much is possible that I really don’t think people grasp. Cloudmin simply is an expansion of options to run and manage multiple servers more or less with tools that improve upon the efficiency of accomplishing these tasks you can carry out larger tasks faster than someone who is a pro at the terminal can with a few clicks of a mouse due to the web management interface its powerful albeit imperfect at times like any software there will be updates needed. But as long as you are willing to accept that and accept we have a small team at the moment with limited resources who work day jobs as well I think you’ll gain maximum benefit from dollar spent with Min software and I’m not trying to sell you on sticking with this either go use whatever you wish I mentioned several things.

But to accomplish your goal with Min Software it is apparent to me at least that you would be best suited with cloudmin as virtualmin won’t accomplish this.

I could be wrong but this is my takeaway unless @Joe has anything more to contribute given the extra information you provided.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.