Has anybody gotten in a jam where the network interface stops working as if it was missing when it’s not? If so I’m eager to know the cause.
Sequence of events:
- installed a Let’s Encrypt certificate with wildcard option
- Postfix and Dovecot stopped after copying the certs
- Dovecot restarted but Postfix refused
- Rebooted but still no Postfix and Webmin’s start button threw numerous errors
- realized there’s no network
Webmin’s network interface page showed no v4 IPs as active on eth0. It did show as active 127.0.0.1 on lo and the default IPv6 address on eth0. I couldn’t ping in or out. Even with an intact resolv.conf and ifcfg-eth0 file known to work, ifdown, ifup and nmcli commands bombed with “cannot load /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0”.
Eventually I got everything working again but it was tough.