Cannot open install script on the desktop

**Operating system: Debian
**OS version: 10

root@host:~# sudo /bin/sh /Users/sibert/Desktop/install.sh
/bin/sh: 0: Can’t open /Users/sibert/Desktop/install.sh

Any hint what I am doing wrong?

The hostname is host.go4webdev.org

Other than completely not following the directions?

All you have to do is run these two commands:

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

And then

sudo /bin/sh install.sh

Done.

3 Likes

That is my problem. I need LEMP and minimal.

So when I edited this script (according to @Joe to minimal and LEMP), put it in the desktop I cannot open it.

root@host:~# sudo /bin/sh /Users/sibert/Desktop/virtualmin/install.sh
/bin/sh: 0: Can’t open /Users/sibert/Desktop/virtualmin/install.sh

btw, my hostname is host.go4webmin.org (but only root@host shows up). Why?

So I am searching for something like
wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/LEMPminimal/install.sh

What do you mean “edited this script”? I never told you to edit the script. You should not need to edit the script. It has option flags for everything you’re trying to do.

2 Likes

Set defaults
bundle=‘LEMP’
mode=‘minimal’

Where shall I tell the minimal/LEMP setting if not in the script?

@Joe mentions it in the FIRST answer in your other thread:

/bin/sh install.sh --bundle LEMP

Don’t edit the script, run it like above.
This is also mentioned in the first paragraph in the docs, where it says that the rest of the doc is deprecated here.

1 Like

So I should run this in terminal?

sudo /bin/sh install.sh --bundle LEMP --mode minimal

If you want a minimal installation with nginx, yes.

Edit: I think it’s just --minimal, not --mode minimal

3 Likes

Where did you get --mode from? That’s not an option! Look at --help! It lists all the options.

1 Like

According to the prompt you’re already logged in as root (good!) so leave sudo out of it.

Save and run the script in the root directory. If wget is not installed fix that first.

apt-get install wget
cd /
/bin/sh install.sh --minimal --bundle LEMP 

If you get an error instead of execution the file needs higher permission.

chmod 0755 install.sh

Delete install.sh once it has served its purpose.

1 Like

Changing permissions is never necessary. Calling it with /bin/sh will run it, even if it is not marked executable.

Edit: I believe the error that happened after the file was edited was because the file was edited on Windows and it got line endings messed up. That’s the only thing I can imagine that would cause that kind of error. Changing permissions on a corrupt file won’t make it work any better.

I have never in my life seen so many people completely unable to just type two commands and be done with it.

4 Likes

I pondered that but was too lazy to double check.

Notepad supposedly handles Linux files better now. Better last than never.

Notepad ++ has been around for 18 years and handles them just fine.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

I know all about it. But I think you miss my point.

Well, if you knew all about it you’d have been using it and not talking about regular notepad to begin with.

But yeah. Whatever.

Next time just follow the directions, type two commands and be done with it.

1 Like

I use whatever editor suits me for a job, often it’s Notepad. If that offends you my day is complete.

I’m not the one with install problems, the other guy is. Open your eyes more and your mouth less.

Not in the script, @sibert, not in the script.

You do not need to edit install.sh - you never need to do that. Everyone has been trying to tell you that for a long time now.

Instead of editing install.sh, you need to run install.sh with the “command line arguments” or “comand line parameters” that will make the script perform a minimal install or LEMP install or any other kind of install that you like.

Google “command line parameters” if you have never had the opportunity to use them before and then read this entire thread again. It will all make sense then.

3 Likes

First of all I want to thank you for your patience with a newbie to *.sh scripts. I have been using Webmin for almost a decade and because of this I have barely needed to use scripts. But once I got it, the installation went perfect and I am impressed by the relative simplicity. The installation of Virtualmin felt even simpler than the plain Webmin installation.

[SUCCESS] Installation Complete!

Thank you indeed!

1 Like

That looks like a path on MacOS system? I assume you want to ssh root@your-debian10-machine first and then run installation script as sh install.sh --minimal --bundle LEMP, as it kinda matters where you run installation script. :slightly_smiling_face:

btw, my hostname is host.go4webmin.org (but only root@host shows up). Why?

Use the following command to set the hostname:

hostnamectl set-hostname FQDN
1 Like