Cannot login email in outlook

ok Joe

I will wait for the new webmin.

@tpnsolutions

I cannt see that file. Please check screenshot

For now, you need to run journalctl -f -u postfix.service command on the console and try sending mail with your Outlook, and see what it prints after you trying to do it.

Also, try using another client, like Mozilla Thunderbird – does it change anything?

Besides, it’s expected that you have installed Virtualmin using official install.sh script and not using some online tutorials.

Hi @Joe @Ilia

When will be releasing new webmin. I am still waiting

Please check mal.log file
download-2022.7.25_13.18.29-server-(projectok.com).tar.gz (525.2 KB)

SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory

something’s wrong with your email setup… did you do any manual changes on webmin/virtualmin?
better try reinstalling if you can’t fix it manually… or get someone to fix it for you…
seems like saslauthd is not running, or not running in postfix chroot as it should, or something else…

the issue is i cannot connect to my email id through outlook. i can send and receive email via usermin

no manual changes have done. just restored my old backup taken from ubuntu 20.04

does SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory , concern with apache.my apache service is not stopped.

No!

Please never suggest reinstalling as a solution to problems. That simply cannot fix anything, because after package installation the Virtualmin installer performs additional configuration that is not provided by the package.

Of course not. Apache is a web server, has nothing to do with mail.

saslauthd is an authentication server. Restart the saslauthd service, and see if there are any errors. Or if things start acting right.

that was a suggestion because user doesn’t know how to debug/fix errors. also this was half suggestion, “or find someone to fix it” was the 2nd.
in anycase reinstallation depends on the system (eg. single domain). sometimes its easier/faster to reinstall, than debug for hours/days/weeks without fixing anything… a reinstallation shouldn’t take more that a couple of hours.

anyway,
2c

Is saslauthd running and did it start at boot time?
You perhaps could see if the file /etc/default/saslauthd contains a line with ‘START=yes’ (without quotes). In a situation like yours for me this line was missing after a clean U22.04 install and vm7-beta-install.sh version 7.0.0-RC8.
Only after I added this line I could send emails from Thunderbird @W10 and an android tablet. Before that I could receive mails and only send from UserMin.

cannt see this line ‘START=yes’ in /etc/default/saslauthd

this is the orginal file
saslauthd.zip (1.1 KB)

@HansM

Thanks a lot. It’s working fine

@Joe @Ilia

Please solve this in the coming Virtualmin

It should already be there (and has been for 15 years). Virtualmin-Config/SASL.pm at 6a1ad2642151964b262ecc433d60295bf9ac0f98 · virtualmin/Virtualmin-Config · GitHub

Are you sure your install completed with no errors or warnings? I guess we’ll need to test it locally, as I don’t see anything wrong with what we’re doing in virtualmin-config.

1 Like

With U22.04 I did a few error-free installs on a Contabo VPS, all with the the missing START=yes line that before was almost at the top of /etc/default/saslauthd.
I have a few more Contabo VPS running U20.04 and VM, they all have this START statement at the first active line of this file.

Just checked a recent U22.04 install on a Raspberry Pi 4, again the START=yes line is missing. The PI install image I downloaded from ubuntu.com.

There is even no line with ‘# START=yes’ or with ‘START=no’ in /etc/default/saslauthd with U22.04. Perhaps an elsif could help :wink:

Alright, thanks for the heads up!

It’s fixed here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.