Another warning: Don't update your kernel/grub

Howdy all,

As I understand it, what seemed to be specific to Red Hat and CentOS distributions seems to also be happening on Ubuntu and Debian systems, as well. So…don’t upgrade your kernel and grub until the upstream vendors sort out the issue.

I know Virtualmin offers to update any available packages, but it’s not us recommending you do so, it’s just Virtualmin informing you about available updates (and normally we do recommend you stay on top of updates for security reasons…sometimes updates break things, though rarely this badly, but the risk of not updating regularly is usually much higher). But, please stop blaming us. We didn’t break your system, your OS provider did. (But don’t blame them, either, they were trying to protect you from a serious security bug.)

UPDATE 8/15/20: I’m reasonably confident this has been fixed everywhere. I’ve done numerous upgrades spread across CentOS and Ubuntu versions (and Fedora, though that doesn’t matter for most Virtualmin users) using UEFI boots and they’ve been working fine for the past week. I don’t have links to changelogs, but I’m sure more documentation exists. I think it’s safe to just assume this whole sordid episode is behind us and get back to regularly updating our systems as though it were a religion.

Cheers,
Joe

7 Likes

What issue do you mean?

1 Like

debian : https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966575

fyi Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 18.04 and 20.04 have already received a follow-up grub upgrade.

And according to changelog, bug was only concerning some systems with multiple disks:

— Changes for grub2 (grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common) —
grub2 (2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.27) xenial; urgency=medium

• debian/postinst.in: Avoid calling grub-install on upgrade of the grub-pc
    package, since we cannot be certain that it will install to the correct
    disk and a grub-install failure will render the system unbootable.
    LP: #1889556.
1 Like

Hi, been battling with this all morning. Fortunately was able to boot into Linode’s kernel and get the server back up and running.

Am now trying to downgrade the latest grub2 updates, with…

yum downgrade grub2 grub2-common grub2-pc grub2-pc-modules grub2-tools grub2-tools-extra grub2-tools-minimal.

The downgrade was successful apparently, but it still can’t boot under GRUB2. This is what I’m seeing, any ideas on how to fix?

Do I need to downgrade the kernel too? It (as well as related supporting packages) was upgraded to 3.10.0-1127.18.2.el7 at the same time as grub2.

Hi,

Is this issue still active?

Thanks

I believe it has been fixed upstream, but I’d like to see confirmation of that from the OS vendors to be sure. I know I saw a news item a day or two ago saying it was fixed for CentOS/RHEL, so it is probably fixed everywhere…but, maybe check with your OS vendor.

1 Like

In Webmin -> System -> Software Package Updates I see on offer Grub new version 2.02-0.86.el7.centos and kernel new version 3.10.0-1127.18.2.el7.

Can anyone confirm if these are safe to update or should we await newer versions?

I went through this, but I ALWAYS do a AWS Snapshot back up prior to ANY server level updates. No exceptions. It’s just a given that I do this and IMO, good practice for recovery reasons.

This definitely saved me on this one, reverted back and all is/was good.