Ubuntu 18 server with virtualmin crashed beyond fixing but i have all the files, where do i start

Hi guys, its strange i have been using virtualmin for over 8 years now but never experienced this type of crash. My host is timevps.com , the server refused to restart and they informed me the only way is to reinstall the OS (ubuntu) which i did, and then i installed virtualmin ( by the way it gets better and better each time, the install process that is )

So, i have a folder with all my previous files, like all of them called backup, i have no idea where to start, i have no backups of my virtual servers at all, nothing!!! just the original files as they ran on my prior server…

What i can also say is

1. the OS , mysql and php are the same as the previous server, also
  2. the ip address is exactly the same.

This is my first full year running a vps all by myself away from shared hosting ( mom is proud ) so im not really a linux or ubuntu guy. i dont know were to touch. please advise. i have about 8 client websites on the system right now and no backups ( yes i know, dont say it ). i have now added an extra dollar to the hosting cost for freq backups.

Please help.

Hi,

:slight_smile:

I have been using Virtualmin for over 8 years now but never experienced this type of crash.

This crash is unrelated to Virtualmin.

The server refused to restart and they informed me the only way is to reinstall the OS (Ubuntu) which i did, and then i installed Virtualmin ( by the way it gets better and better each time, the install process that is )

No, it’s not true. You can fix a boot. There are multiple tutorials online on how it can done. It’s better to ask this particular question from your ISP, asking them kindly to fix your system boot. There should be sysadmins who could do it.

The OS , MySQL and PHP are the same as the previous server; the IP address is exactly the same.

Okay, you could try to simply copy configuration files (from under /etc, /var/lib/mysql, /var/lib/bind) using cp -pR command or using rsync -arv, and it might just work, in case you have installed all needed packages. However, it’s not going to be that straight forward and might require some understanding about what is happening.

1 Like

Thank you so much for responding…could you kindly go a bit clearer on the exact steps to do take, what should i start with , and how do i check if i’m making progress etc. But i really appreciate your response.

You are welcome! Please don’t re-install the server just because of the broken boot. It’s fixable. Ask your ISP to do it for you. You could technically do it via provider’s console by booting from USB stick and chrooting to your current installation but that requires some knowledge. If you don’t go with ISP solution (which is easiest), try Googling as this is quite common issue. I am afraid, we are unable to provide you with more details/support on it. Sorry.