Annoying update message but can't find the package. New install on Rocky 9

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version rocky 9
Webmin version 2.013
Virtualmin version 7.5
Related packages can’t find

Seems to be a “falsepositive” anyone else run into this issue??

Steve

Log out and then back in again.

Yeah done plenty of that as I’m doing shutdowns and snapshots so i can go back in case I see wanna fix something.
Fresh keeps keeps saying
Re-fetching available packages …
… found 1 possible updates but shows no package. Yum clean all doesn’t help either.
Weird.

Steve

What about dnf update in an SSH session?

yep, update and upgrade. nothing to be done.

sound familiar - https://forum.virtualmin.com/t/package-upgrade-webmin-2-013/118848 It was identified as a caching issue. However it was a reboot that fixed it - pretty drastic I know! :person_shrugging:t2:

I tried that. I might try rocky 8.

This has nothing to do with the OS, it happens to all because it is a cache issue.

In your dashboard upper right corner icon “Force to refresh system information” should do the trick.

1 Like

Ive done all that.

Ok, this maybe a bug, I just did a fresh install on Rocky8. This package update notification happen due install. And Refresh show 1 “possible” updates. But then back to updates says "No packages available to be updated were found. " no refresh or clearing cache can get rid of this message. It would be good if someone to fire up a new Rocky 8 or 9 or even just a new Install on any OS and see if they get this issue cause I’m thinking its a bug. screenshot.

still there, and I will refresh top right, refresh page reboot yum update , still there

Well, they’re not new installations, but I did get a sudo update on all my Rocky 8.7 servers today. Maybe it was revoked?

It’s kind of puzzling because my understanding was that that screen is basically a GUI for dnf.

Do you have any unusual repos enabled?

Richard

Reverted to a clean install of RHEL9, ran dnf update, installed Vmin - no updates show anywhere.

Its a clean VPS install on vultr. I said it was a new install. Standard install no playing with anything.
As soon as the server is ready I run install script, first screenshot shows the the beginning of the VM install.

I don’t have access to RHEL9 on vultr, I’d don’t think I would use it anyway.

You would use the Upload Custom ISO option, but I haven’t tested it.

I tried it on BinaryLane but the system is broken and they can’t be bothered fixing it, or even answering support emails.

RHEL is a bit of a pain with their Registration system though, so Rocky/Alma would be a bit less hassle. On the other hand, it’s the original which the others copy.

Yeah, I don’t like the ISO install method, to much setup to do just get to the VM install, here now I just login and all updates and network is ready to go. And isn’t RHEL just free for developer and individuals?

Solved, its was a Vultr repo, Once I disable it and refresh packages there is no more “possible” updates. Now I got to work out if it is needed or not.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with fresh install on Centos 9 Stream. I just ignore it at this point.

Its was a repo Vultr my VPS supplier added, maybe its the same. Just disable the repo and refresh the packages.

I was able to reproduce this (also on vultr), but I don’t think we can fix it. It is something weird about the vultr repo, maybe?

Here’s what I see when I do a check-update:

# dnf check-update
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:22 ago on Fri 03 Feb 2023 11:36:14 PM UTC.
Obsoleting Packages
cloud-init.x86_64                                       97225:22.4_62_gcb128dc_cb128-97225                                   apprepo      
    cloud-init.x86_64                                   99191:22.4_83_g7d57fcf_7d57-99191                                    @@commandline
cloud-init.x86_64                                       99191:22.4_83_g7d57fcf_7d57-99191                                    @@commandline
    cloud-init.x86_64                                   99191:22.4_83_g7d57fcf_7d57-99191                                    @@commandline
cloud-init.x86_64                                       99191:22.4_83_g7d57fcf_7d57-99191                                    apprepo      

But, then a dnf update:

# dnf update
Last metadata expiration check: 0:06:00 ago on Fri 03 Feb 2023 11:36:14 PM UTC.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

It may be that we’re interpreting that Obsoleting packages thing wrong. I don’t know what it means. But, I can’t update/upgrade cloud-init, so it seems like something it should not be considered a viable update.

1 Like