Accidentally uninstalled virtualmin, can I safely reinstall?

Similar problem to the one in this post from 2018: I figure it's a long shot but worth a try. I accidentally uninstalled Virtualmin. Can I reassociate the domains and settings?

Was trying to get the latest version of node working on a live production server and wound up uninstalling python-minimal. Doing so took virtualmin and webmin with it.

I do not have any backups as I have been unable to get virtualmin’s backup system working with my FTP server for the past 3 years, and the ones from before that were all corrupted.

I do not understand what andreychek means in the advice he provided in the other thread, so I am starting this new one.

I have six separate virtual hosts plus email on the server. I need to get virtualmin back in there without disturbing those sites. Please point me to instructions on how to do this. It’s a horribly mangled Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installation on a Linode.

It should be possible doing it with more or the less effort, if you have /etc directory back back.

If so, simply install back deleted packages.

apt-get install bind9 bind9utils jailkit python python-minimal virtualmin-core virtualmin-lamp-stack webmin webmin-jailkit webmin-php-pear webmin-ruby-gems webmin-virtual-server webmin-virtual-server-theme webmin-virtualmin-awstats webmin-virtualmin-dav webmin-virtualmin-git webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd webmin-virtualmin-init webmin-virtualmin-registrar webmin-virtualmin-slavedns webmin-virtualmin-sqlite

… and restore /etc/webmin. In practice it might be more difficult. Considering your situation, I would use it to upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 10, as Ubuntu 16.04 EOL is not that far away to invest much time in it.

1 Like