I figure it's a long shot but worth a try. I accidentally uninstalled Virtualmin. Can I reassociate the domains and settings?

Hello there,
I made one of the dumbest mistakes out of frustration with python and trying to use virtual environments. I spent hours trying to get things working right and somehow in there somewhere I must have done apt-get remove python. As soon as I hit enter my heart sank as it quickly as I realized what I had just done. It was too late, what was done was done. Virtualmin and associated things were removed. I knew it would not work but figured it was worth a try since I messed it up already, I did a reinstall and tried to set up a few domains, just with no configurations since they were all already there (such as DNS, Nginx, etc) which helped, it at least made those sites work again, but of course now they are not technically tied to Virtualmin as they should be, meaning I can’t change any of the configuration details through Virtualmin itself, but at least everything is still there and working.

So my question is, is there some way, I can reassociate and regain the control of settings and what not via Virtualmin? Between the time it was uninstalled and reinstalled was a total of about 5 minutes so there were no changes to anything else and everything was configured in Virtualmin exactly how it was before the uninstall, so I am hoping that perhaps there is somewhere I can try to manually tie things back together between the different systems and Virtualmin?

Thanks,
-MH

You could try the installation documentation. There’s some info about how to manually install things, so something there may help.

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation

Howdy,

Do you happen to have Virtualmin backups? If you have any backups that were created using Backup and Restore -> Scheduled Backups, you can always restore just the metadata, which would re-associate them with Virtualmin.

If not, you can use Add Servers -> Import Virtual Servers.

That screen allows you to take an existing website that isn’t associated with Virtualmin, and imports it into Virtualmin.

-Eric

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have backups but they were from another server when I was consolidating multiple servers down to one. I will check and see. Luckily this is not exactly a production server or anything. It’s just my own personal stuff and a few things for friends, so it’s not critical, would just make things easier. I will try and few things and see what happens.

Thanks,
-MH

Okay, definitely look into the Add Servers -> Import Virtual Server option then, I suspect that would do what you’re after.

-Eric