"3 package updates are available"

That’s what my Dasboard displays after the next-to-last kernel update but following the updates link I get “No packages available to be updated were found”.
Refresh packages -> “Clearing package caches … done Re-fetching available packages… found 0 possible updates”
It’s the same from any browser/OS
Screenshot from 2020-06-07 12-20-59
Screenshot from 2020-06-07 12-22-02

Try to manually clear the package cache and restart webmin after that.

yum clean packages -> 0 package files removed
yum clean headers -> 0 header files removed
yum clean metadata -> 37 metadata files removed; 22 sqlite files removed; 0 metadata files removed

Refresh Chrome Dashboard and again:
Screenshot from 2020-06-07 12-20-59
yum clean metadata -> 0 metadata files removed; 0 sqlite files removed; 0 metadata files removed

Followed the updates link, then:

“Refresh Available Packages”
Screenshot from 2020-06-08 11-29-28

“Return to package list” -> “No packages available to be updated were found” (same as before the previous previous screenshot)

yum clean metadata -> 37 metadata files removed; 22 sqlite files removed; 0 metadata files removed

Did you restart webmin too? And can you try another browser or the incognito mode.

Hi Daniel, I have same issue like this but on debian :slight_smile: terminal yield all up to date even when updating via virtualmin gui nothings found but gui shows 13 possible updates available. This happen to me - well it seems - every time when I do full distro upgrade, from debian 8 to 9 to 10 etc. I would say this should be reported, but its nothing to worry about… when I checked those packages offered via gui on terminal its all up to date - I guess its some kind of cache in browser or something. Check those packages via terminal and if all good, then you dont have to worry.

Yes, it seems there’s nothing to worry about.
Anyway I yum clean metadata then service webmin restart and finally opened Webmin from Mac Firefox I’ve installed but never used and still get those 3 available updates despite all is cleaned.
Thank you!

@DanielStonek rightdehoo I am going to reboot the server then :slight_smile: its been year and half since last time I did so.

I did that 2 days ago because of a kernel update

Sounds like a cache invalidation bug. Maybe in the theme.

As they say: “There are 2 hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-1 errors.”

I haven’t seen this problem, but maybe @Ilia has some guesses?

1 Like

That’s not on theme, as far as I can tell, as the theme gets data from the core, in particular theme_list_combined_system_info() sub.

I haven’t seen this problem, but maybe @Ilia has some guesses?

It might be a bug in regex for version comparison. We faced it few times in the past.

That’s what my Dashboard displays after the next-to-last kernel update but following the updates link I get “No packages available to be updated were found”.

If clicking refresh button at Dashboard, also doesn’t change anything?

I think, it’s easily fixable if could be reproduced. However, honestly I remember addressing it! What Webmin version do you have installed? Is there a way to get remote access to your box to figure what the real cause of the issue? The issue must be checked at system-status module and its system_info.pl file on line 266-295.

Can you attach or copy/paste content of the following file:

1 Like

Besides, do you, by any chance, have anything in file:


At Dashboard I only have “Refresh Modules”

Webmin 1.942


Thank you!

I meant this button, at the top right:

Operating system CentOS Linux 7.8.2003
Webmin version 1.942 Usermin version 1.791
Virtualmin version 6.09 Authentic theme version 19.47
Time on system Wednesday, June 10, 2020 12:27 PM Kernel and CPU Linux 3.10.0-1127.10.1.el7.x86_64 on x86_64


No such file or directory

No changes, still “3 package updates…” (the upper right refresh button)

no info file, just config and enable-collection.pl

Not sure if this is of any help, but I had a similar problem (Centos7) with ‘2 package updates are available’ but nothing visible to update.

I was able to identify those missing updates from the ‘Package Updates on …’ admin email I received - it turned out in my case that the libxml2 & libxml2-python would not allow updating within Webmin due to an underscore being omitted (by the libxml2 devs) in the version number).

An update to libxml2 from 2.9.1-6.el7_2.3 to 2.9.1-6.el7.4 is available.
An update to libxml2-python from 2.9.1-6.el7_2.3 to 2.9.1-6.el7.4 is available.

Anyway, once I had identified the missing packages I was able to update them from a terminal and the Dashboard message went away.

1 Like

Spot on, @simon1066. Now all installed packages are up to date. :+1:

I don’t receive those mails (I should!)
yum update libxml2 fixed the issue.
Thank you