Wordpress Install Script fails

Using a template which calls the Wordpress install script (and worked last time I used it, possibly October) fails today, specifically:

sudo virtualmin create-domain --domain domainhere.com --user user here --pass “somepassword” --template “Wordpress (auto install)” --plan “Regular Plan” --web --webalizer --unix --webmin --mysql --virtualmin-awstats --dir --logrotate

Ends with:

Installing third-party scripts …
Installing wordpress version 6.1.1 …
Checking PHP modules …
Installing required PHP gd module …
… could not find domain’s php.ini file

.. done

All done!

I am not sure when my actual Wordpress script dates from, and I could not tell from System Settings, Script Installers, and Upgrade Scripts whether I need to update the Wordpress Installer script manually (it is called WordPress 6.1.1 there). The “Installer Updates” updates tab is also a little unclear to me. Mine is checked on Download script updates? = Yes and Scripts to include = Only selected, and “Wordpress” is highlighted, though that may be only because it is the last in the list.

My guess is that that means that my Wordpress install script is also up to date as is my OS and are all packages.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Ubuntu Linux 20.04.5
Virtualmin version 7.5
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I have to ask: Why are you doing that at the command line? Why aren’t you using the Virtualmin interface?

No particular reason in the example.  The web interface fails the same.

Also, Wordpress installs fine manually (if I download it and edit the config file and ftp it in, it's fine, no complaints about gd or php.ini).

RJ 

Setting Up Virtual Server
In domain somedomain.com
Creating administration group somelogin …
… done
Creating administration user somelogin …
… done
Creating aliases for administration user …
… done
Adding administration user to groups …
… done
Creating home directory …
… done
Creating mailbox for administration user …
… done
Adding new virtual website …
… done
Adding webserver user www-data to server’s group …
… done
Performing other Apache configuration …
… done
Setting up scheduled Webalizer reporting …
… done
Setting up log file rotation …
… done
Creating MySQL login …
… done
Setting up AWStats reporting …
… done
Setting up password protection for AWStats …
… done
Creating Webmin user …
… done
Saving server details …
… done
Applying web server configuration …
… done
Re-loading Webmin …
… done
Installing third-party scripts …
Installing wordpress version 6.1.1 …
Checking PHP modules …
Installing required PHP gd module …
… could not find domain’s php.ini file
… done
Creating initial website index page …
… done

Just odd that I’ve never, ever heard of it failing before.

The other point is, setting up a domain in Ubuntu via the terminal I don’t think is the same as setting up a virtual server in Virtualmin. The two aren’t related. I would think the former would use the built in Apache web service of Ubuntu, which has nothing at all to do with Virtualmin.

Unless I’m missing something that you’re doing.

That’s why I asked.

I would expect the opposite. The Virtualmin web interface would be a “skin” that launches command-lines in the background which insert things into config files and relaunch daemons and so on (in my general understanding, which is shamefully small, of how Linux works in particular with graphical interfaces). Each of the lines of output is the same. And the output from the web-interface when it it running through the “Creating administration group somelogin …” is suspiciously “command-liney” looking, even down to the font.

RJ

That is incorrect.

The Virtualmin CLI is identical to using the GUI, assuming the same options and values are set.

This doesn’t make sense. Virtualmin always uses the Ubuntu default packages for everything, including Apache.

I didn’t realize creating a domain in Ubuntu automatically made all the entries in Virtualmin. I thought they were two separate things.

OP used the virtualmin create-domain command line tool to create the domain. That obviously creates a domain in Virtualmin.

I missed that. I just saw the sudo create domain. My fault.

Well this is embarrassing. I found the fix for this when revisiting it today and apparently googling just the right part of the error, which found a few similar issues that people had had… including a post that I myself made less than a year ago, to this forum, for the exact same thing:

(Getting older sucks. I noticed getting a little more forgetful… but getting stupider is a surprise, because apparently I figured this out on the same day last time.)

What happened, then as now, is that an update between making virtual servers added PHP 8.2 and I didn’t notice. Since my script defaults to “use the newest php”, and gd must be installed manually (apparently), I fixed this the same way I did last time (though adding .1):

sudo apt-get install php8.2-gd

You’re welcome future-Ron.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.