Wordpress fails to install

I think it’s as simple as installing tor package and starting tor.service.

Be careful though.

If I do that, I cannot access my local network where all my virtualmin instances are running on 192.168.1.0/24.
I keep things as simple and vanilla as they can be, so I just installed tor in the VM and set the configuration, rebooted the VM and no change.

I suggested to just run a simple test, and see how it goes. No need to have it enabled in production.

UPDATE: I’ve just installed the very latest openSSH updates that are new, just now and now I get a different error.

It’s failing now on installing wp-core
Blimey - it’s really just not my day.

Thanks for your help - all, I’m just going drop this for now and go put myself out my misery with a 7.62 - see if that fails too… :sob:

I’ll keep on it… and sort out that email.

No, these are development machines only - nothing here is live. As I say - I keep a very simple setup

What’s the problem really? The email address you have set in virtual server configuration is invalid.

Was the network problem solved?

No, not solved - still.
It was a complete fluke that it installed.

I tried again installing the script on another Virtual Server… It’s back to its usual tricks as per my original posting.

I’ll pick this up again later - For now, I’m done.

Thanks for digging those 2 curl issues.

On the first, it appears that it pertains to curl totally not working with Wordpress. On my existing sites, I don’t see the issues reported, it’s all working fine apart from the update Wordpress from inside the Wordpress Update screen, in addition to the Wordpress install script in virtualmin.

I will try to create a debian and ubuntu Virtual Machine today to see if it is an LXC issue.

For the second.
Nope I tried installing pieHole in a debian LXC using his commands, but everything went fine - installed pieHole no issues.

I did also - just for “sheets and giggles” change the DNS setting in my router for googles DNS instead of using the internet providers DNS and rebooted the proxmox host and VM’s/Containers. No change. I did not think for an instant that I had DNS issues but tried it anyway.

Further, to remind you that my linux desktop running Virtualbox and Ubuntu Server 20.04 with Virtualmin is also having the same issues as the proxmox LXC’s (Debian or Ubuntu). So currently I’m leaning on the side of, it’s not a proxmox or LXC issue.

Well, back to square one.

I will try now to create a VM.

What is the physical location of your server? Some countries are known for filtering traffic. As a side effect, they can block sites that aren’t meant to be blocked.

Though, I’m pretty sure it isn’t a Virtualmin issue. You should look deeper into system logs and/or use network monitoring tools like tcpdump or wireshark to get a better understanding of what’s really going on.

Acknowledged, thanks.

It’s all still a discovery process and I did not know about the filtering. But to answer your question on geographic whereabouts - I’m in the UK (I nearly said something disparaging then - but I will bite my lip).

I’ll add your suggestions to my list - I need to get this working else I will be forced to ditch Virtualmin - the love of my life for the last decade and just be down to a plain old LAMP server and creating everything manually. - not ideal, but a last resort.

We can help to work it out. Is there anything useful logged in /var/webmin/miniserv.error when this error happens?

Also, can you run some more tests for us?

Can you edit /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/scripts-lib.pl file and replace lines 441-444 with:

my $dtemp =
	&backquote_command(
		"curl -sS --request GET " .
		"--url https://$host$page ".
		"2>&1 </dev/null");
write_file_contents($temp, $dtemp);

Example of how it should look like afterwards:

Restart Webmin by running /etc/webmin/restart and try again – does it fail in the same way or it’s reliable now?

Is your domain test123 as this is not a valid domain name

it may not be valid publicly, but it is valid locally and virtualmin has been happy with this since the beginning. But please, don’t get hung up on this fact. Whether I use a valid domain and tld, it performs the same.

Great - thanks.

I’ve just tried installing a turnkey linux install with Wordpress and it’s defo not Virtualmin - like you say.
I get the same error from Turnkey too

Soooo, that’s exhonorated Virtualmin… but whatever is causing the problem is also affecting Virtualmin.

I’ll give those things you suggested a try. BRB

Alright, it would be interesting to figure out.

As all this happens within an LXC container, are there any resource limits imposed and perhaps hit when an HTTP download occurs? Did you check kernel logs?

Thanks!

Well, I’ve installed your edits and…

No resource limits in terms of disk or RAM… I don’t know what other resources you allude to other than the php limits in php ini, but your script sets those minimum limits anyways - from what I can see.

You either installed it incorrectly or forgot to restart Webmin.

Checked the logs in webmin and /var/log - nothing in there I can see.

Here is the result - AFTER I rebooted the VM - my bad… sorry

This sounds like a home setup? Is your provider, lets say it politely, messing with you? Some do unethical things to people trying to run servers and actually use the bandwidth they pay for.

EDIT:
https://www.simplified.guide/curl/download-resume
https://www.simplified.guide/wget/download-continue