Why does the light dim in terminal full screen and how can I make it stop

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1
Webmin version 2.013
Usermin version 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.5 Pro
Theme version 20.13
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

The title says it all. Every time I use the Terminal in full screen it starts to dim and looks blurry to my already bad eyes.

How can I change this so that it stays bright?

Regards,

Peter

Hello,

I don’t think this is something we do. If you open a terminal in full screen mode (drop down terminal mode in Authentic theme), then the ambient light level drops significantly (in case you’re working in a completely dark room), and what I think is really happening, is that your monitor light sensor reacts and dims the screen’s brightness.

The solutions are few:

1. Don’t work in complete darkness and have some constant ambient light around your monitor’s ambient light sensor
  2. Disable ambient light sensor in your monitor menu, and control brightness manually
  3. Use stand-alone Terminal module (i.e. Webmin / Tools → Terminal)
2 Likes

I’ll check, perhaps this is a Window$ browser feature than because it doesn’t happen when using powershell.

The office is bright by the way. Testing this with a light over the monitor still dims on the terminal.

Thanks for solutions.

Could you use your phone to record and demonstrate with the screencast of what is really happening … to understand how it dims exactly on your side?

Haha! It was the monitor. Changed it over to standard and the dimming stopped on the terminal.

Thanks @Ilia

1 Like

It was a very strange behavior as if it was breathing in and out. But when I clicked on the title bar to minimize it than it would stop. My Monitor had this feature called Samsung Magic so I switched it standard with full 100% brightness and now it stopped dimming.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing details. Glad it worked for you!

I bought a new 2k monitor a few months ago. I thought my eyes were just getting worse than they already were until I mentioned it on another forum and somebody told me about the same thing.

They really should give us old, half-blind already people the heads up on new features like this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.