What's the difference between Virtualmin and Webmin and how to setup different php versions

Debian10
Apache2
Webmin 1.981

I’m running a server with multiple phpBB-forums. I wanted to set php 7.3 (standard) to php 7.4. After installing the packages of php7.4 i had serveral issues with configuring the php. At least i even installed php8.0.
Now i can’t set one virtual Host to php7.4 and the other to php7.3. I can’t find, where to configure it. There are documentations about Virtualmin and i do not have Virtualmin. Or can i install Virtualmin beside Webmin ?
The only way i found to change php-version ist to change the globally module-configuration in the apache webserver. As i deactivate php7.3 and 7.4 i’m now running under php8.0.
Could someone help me, how it is possible to change the php-version for each virtual host ?
in the console i can see, that the services for 7.3, 7.4 and 8.0 are running. To add “Include etc/apache/conf-available/php7.4-conf” in “etc/apache2/sites-available/mydomain.conf” has no effects.

thx
(sorry, if my english isn’t good)

In Virtualmin it’s easy. You just go to the virtual server you want to manage and click on Server Configuration / PHP Options and there it is.

In Webmin there is a PHP Configuration screen under the tools menu.

You may want to consider getting Virtualmin. To me it makes everything a great deal easier.

@69bruno,

Virtualmin is a module which sits on top of Webmin, with the goal of making the management of hosting simple.

Webmin also has most of the same functionality through individual server modules to accomplish what Virtualmin does, but the difference is…

Using Virtualmin, you fill out one form, click submit and behind the scenes (well technically it shows you on screen) it executes almost a dozen individual tasks.

Through Webmin’s individual modules you’d have to execute each task one-by-one which is more time consuming and subject to errors and/or inconsistencies.

If you simply want an easy way to manage your hosting needs Virtualmin is the way to go. Both GPL and Pro offer superior functionality while Pro simply offers more value adds.

For power users and those with very specific needs going the route of working things out via the individual modules may be a viable option. The most important part is you do need to know what you’re doing.

Webmin is not the right tool, if you’re managing websites and want it to be easy. Virtualmin is the correct tool (and includes and sits on top of Webmin).

You should start over with a freshly installed supported OS, and install Virtualmin using our automated install script. Downloading and Installing Virtualmin – Virtualmin

Also, you should not install a bunch of random PHP versions for no reason. Most applications run fine on any reasonably recent PHP 7 version.

1 Like

webmin is linux tool to manage your system, virtualmin is for managing your websites on linux… both can achieve some nice stuff for you…

I didn’t feel like going on the adventure of learning a new system (virtualmin). I just made an additional entry in host1.conf and host2.conf over the “change directives” and now the virtual hosts are running with different php versions. I need this to check compatibilities.

<FilesMatch \.php$>
      # For Apache version 2.4.10 and above, use SetHandler to run PHP as a fastCGI process server
      SetHandler "proxy:unix:/run/php/php7.x-fpm.sock|fcgi://localhost"
    </FilesMatch>

However, thx for the replies.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.