Website totally down and no error in logs

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad english, i’m french.

I’m a little ashamed to ask this question because I consider myself to be an experienced web developer (+15 years experience). I have a 500 error on one of my virtual servers. My site has been unavailable since this morning.

This error gives me a lot of professional problem with my boss because he is losing a lot of money.

I feel like I have tried everything since this morning and I am desperate.

These files don’t mention any errors right at the time when I refresh my site:

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/virtualmin/website.error.log
/var/log/apache2/error.log

Since the virtualmin administration, in my virtual server, same observation in the Logs> error log menu.

I have also tried adding this to my site’s index.php, but nothing is showing:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 'on');

The site has been running for a year and we have never had such a problem. Locally (on my computer), it works fine. My boss puts a lot of pressure on me but having no errors anywhere, I have no answer to give him …

I am sure that no action has taken place on the server as I am the only one who has access to it. I just updated the PHP site (git pull).

Thank you very very much in advance

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 10
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16
Related products version: PHP 8

If it happened right after you installed PHP8, go back and uninstall PHP8.

I don’t know why people are upgrading to PHP8 at this point. A great many things aren’t even compatible with it yet. In fact, of the 8 people I know that upgraded to it, 7 of them had massive problems and had to get rid of it.

2 Likes

@Frenchmin follow @Gomez_Adams advice as even Debian 11 does not have php8… good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.