Website emails not working

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version RHEL 8.6
Virtualmin version 7.1

I just discovered that website emails, eg from WordPress or Wordfence aren’t getting out. This pretty much a standard install except I do DNS and user emails on separate servers. I did do a test for user emails and they worked fine.

I am familiar and confident with Sendmail, but not Postfix though I am hoping to leave the system with Postfix simply because it is recommended.

From the logs I get this: status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)
and: warning: do not list domain node44.ace.net.au in BOTH mydestination and virtual_alias_domains

The node44 is the host for the server, not the domain name sending the email, and I am also curious about that.

Any pointers would be appreciated, as I was expecting it to work just out of the box like everything else the Virtualmin does so well.

That means you’re trying to send to a server that doesn’t know that user. Are you trying to send to the Virtualmin server itself? (Where does the MX record for the domain you’re trying to send to point? Is that actually the correct host to receive mail for that domain?)

1 Like

Hi Joe, the recipient email address is not on this server and has the correct MX.

This is happening for all domains on the server with the exception of one that I just installed today to test the WordFence emails. They mostly have different recipient email addresses all away from this server and all correctly configured.

I don’t know why the server installed today is different, but I am hoping it will help me find answers.

What I’m trying to say: If BIND is enabled, and Virtualmin is managing DNS, it will setup the MX record to point to itself (unless you configure it otherwise). And, since the installer sets up the system to query itself first, it will believe itself to be authoritative for the domain.

You have to turn off the DNS feature if you’re not hosting DNS on the Virtualmin system. I don’t know if that’s the problem, but without more complete info (more of the relevant log entries) it’s the only thing I can think of (and it is a common confusion).

Thanks Joe,
I have bind disabled at startup and it isn’t included in new VM creation.
Curiously a couple of domains have started sending WordFence emails successfully since around the time I updated Webmin/Usermin, though one went through just before accorrding to the logs, so I am discounting that theory.

There are a couple of ideas that I want to check and test tomorrow, will report back then.

You use the term Bind, in Virtualmin the refer it as DNS, just to clarify you are using Virtualmin to turn off things. Like DNS disabled is here. Bind is more a webmin term.

I meant bind as that is disabled meaning local DNS can’t work.

Also the DNS options are turned off, so both covered.

The solution however is to disable “Mail for domain”.

I had left that on thinking it would allow mail from the website out to work, and I plan to start using VMin to handle users mail when I have had a chance to learn more about it.

I can now see that it meant that eg WordFence emails going to eg admin@domain would fail as VMin thinks that all user mail is local.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.