When i try login to webmin, I get this error:
Error - Access denied. The user has been blocked because of too many authentication failures.
My installation is ubuntu 14.04 LTS with latest versions of webmin & virtualmin.
I use csf firewall, but I think this has not blocked me as I can connect with other user to webmin.
The user that has been blocked is the only with root privileges, the root user is disabled.
I can connect as root via ssh but I don’t know how to unblock the user.
/var/webmin/blocked is empty
Near the user that has been blocked i find this: !$1$58204884$Lr2pCuVl1PTfZr7g.Weqg.
Other users that can connect have this: x::::::::0:0:::
Thank you for any help!
You may want to try restarting the Webmin process. That will reset it’s counter of login attempts, and allow any blocked users to login.
I just tried: /etc/init.d/webmin restart , as root via ssh,
but the same error: Error - Access denied. The user has been blocked because of too many authentication failures.
Thanks for help.
In our case restarting Webmin did not work either. We SSH as Root than ran
The following worked in our case
- Using Webmin. Navigate to "Server" > "SSH Server" > "Authentication" button
- Under "Maximum login attempts per connection" temporarily set a large number such as
66 Instead of the default value
- Click on "Save" button
- On the "SSH Server" page. Click on "Apply Changes" button.
- Try to log-in again. It should work. If not working redo the steps above but increase the "Maximum login attempts per connection" value
- After you're able to log-in. For security prevention, it's suggested to change the "Maximum login attempts per connection" back to its default value