I’ve been using Webmin/Virtualmin on a Debian 6 install for a few months now and all has been good (gpl version). The version I installed of Webmin was 1.580 and then Virtualmin 3.32gpl.
I’ve just upgraded Webmin to 1.590 and Virtualmin to 3.33gpl, however I now have big problems with the install. For a start Webmin will not start up. Looking at the init script I can see it looking for /etc/webmin/start and /etc/webmin/stop, but these are not present. They aren’t present in my config backup that I took either so I don’t have anything to install from. Any ideas on how to get this running again?
Can you double-check which Virtualmin version you have there? Version 3.33 is a few years old, I suspect you mean 3.93, but just wanted to make sure
Second – how did you initially install Virtualmin?
Did you use the automated install.sh? Or did you do a manual installation of some sort?
Yes, you are correct, typo on my part, it was virtualmin 3.93. I initially installed Virtualmin using the install.sh script. However it was updated with apt-get. As those two scripts are missing Webmin didn’t restart so the old version (1.580) was still running - I hadn’t worked out that at this point - while in the Virtualmin panel it complained a lot about not being able to write to /etc/webmin/webmin/oscache which is there and has the required permissions.
No sure what went wrong as it should have been a routine upgrade.
Thanks for the reply.
Any ideas, currently I have a production server with a few clients hosted (web and email) and I can’t do too much for fear of trashing the config setup with Webmin/Virtualmin. Obviously I can tweak on the command line but I’d like to have Webmin back running again.
Hmm, that’s all pretty odd – I’ve never heard of those files missing, or having problems writing to the oscache file.
Are you by chance on a VPS? And if so, is it OpenVZ? If you’re using OpenVZ, what are the contents of your /proc/user_beancounters file?
Server is a dedicated box with Debian Squeeze, nothing overly special or different. Is there a copy of those files in any archives somewhere I can grab?
What gets me the most is the files aren’t in a backup of configuration files, and the oscache folder I had to recreate as it was missing. Something went very wrong in the upgrade.
Running dpkg on the latest webmin .deb doesn’t pull in missing files either.
I'm a little baffled as to how that could happen... one thing you may want to do is run the "dmesg" command, and make sure you aren't seeing any unusual errors.
However, barring that, I can certainly paste in the contents of those two files, they're fairly small. The files are:
echo Starting Webmin server in /usr/share/webmin
trap '' 1
exec '/usr/share/webmin/miniserv.pl' /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
echo Stopping Webmin server in /usr/share/webmin
pidfile=`grep "^pidfile=" /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf | sed -e 's/pidfile=//g'`
kill `cat $pidfile`
Thanks for the scripts. I did manage to solve the issue using a more brute force method.
I backed up all the configs, and home folders and then purged webmin using aptitude. Then I installed from the repo. This time all the correct files were downloaded and installed. From there I then ran the install.sh Virtualmin installer to get Virtualmin going.
On signing in all the virtual servers were missing (as you’d expect as the configs had gone). So at this point I copied the backup of /etc/webmin back into the live /etc/ folder, restarted webmin and signed out and in again.
All seems to be running ok now and all virtual servers are present and correct (phew). Some modules and configs had got knocked out, most notably AWStats and SpamAssassin. But they were easy to get running again.
I’m still in the dark about what caused those files to go missing (and also the oscache).
I will keep an eye on things, especially during the next upgrade. Hopefully will go pro soon too.