Webmin service failed timeout exceed

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Centos7
Webmin version webmin-2.111-1

I am facing a serious issue with the virtualmin panel. I am not able to start the webmin service.

sudo /etc/webmin/start
Job for webmin.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.

Status of systemctl status webmin.service

[root@srv475473 ~]# systemctl status webmin.service
● webmin.service - Webmin server daemon
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/webmin.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/webmin.service.d
└─override.conf
Active: activating (start) since Sun 2024-06-09 11:20:11 IST; 5s ago
Process: 21199 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 25193 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Tasks: 1
Memory: 15.2M
CGroup: /system.slice/webmin.service
└─21200 /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

Jun 09 11:20:11 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Starting Webmin server daemon…
Jun 09 11:20:11 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Can’t open PID file /var/webmin/miniserv.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory

i tried different solution but still showing same error

The OS centos is finishing it’s usable life later this month, so you may want to take this opportunity to replace centos with a newer OS, replacements for centos are either Rocky or Alma linux, but, if you wished, you could change to a debian based os. Once you have reprovisioned your server with the new os install virtualmin by using the install script, so you have everything installed and fresh then just restore your domain(s) from the backup(s) you were making before the failure. If you have not made backups this gets a little trickier

ok i will work on this but how to fix this issue do you any solution for this

I am saying put your time into upgrading your OS rather than chasing around trying to fix the error which could be caused by an out of date OS, To reprovision, install virtualmain & restore domains can normally take an hour or 2 but tracing this fault may take much longer. but maybe this Webmin service won't start after upgrade would help, the thread indicates that trying to start webmin in the way described gives a more verbose error

i have check this solution

[root@srv475473 etc]# sudo perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
Webmin is already running with PID 25971
[root@srv475473 etc]#
but status webmin showing service stop

[root@srv475473 etc]# sudo systemctl status webmin.service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/webmin.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
└─override.conf
Active: activating (start) since Sun 2024-06-09 12:34:36 IST; 5min ago
Process: 25970 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 25193 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Tasks: 1
Memory: 15.2M
CGroup: /system.slice/webmin.service
└─25971 /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

Jun 09 12:34:36 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Starting Webmin server daemon…
Jun 09 12:34:36 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Can’t open PID file /var/webmin/miniserv.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
[root@srv475473 etc]#

have you rebooted the server ? if not give that a go

i restarted but its still showing me error webmin service not started

└─override.conf
Active: inactive (dead) since Sun 2024-06-09 21:21:06 IST; 6min ago
Process: 14516 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jun 09 21:15:30 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Starting Webmin server daemon…
Jun 09 21:15:30 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Can’t open PID file /var/webmin/miniserv.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
Jun 09 21:21:06 srv475473.hstgr.cloud systemd[1]: Stopped Webmin server daemon.
[root@srv475473 ~]#

You have now gone 10 hours without a fix, so changing the OS installing virtualmin and restoring backups could have been a few times over by now. But you may have a problem in the file miniserv.conf have a look at that for errors, but i still think take this opportunity to upgrade the OS as your issue may relate to an old OS

@Pdatir Were there any upgrades lately? I had a copy of Windows 8 that came preinstalled on a laptop. I used it only for tax software. Microsoft took the opportunity of the last update to break the video drivers. Something similar may have happened here. I wouldn’t expect that staff to spend a lot of time trying to fix something on an OS that is EOL in a couple weeks time.

i have restore backup now webmin working again thank you support