Webmin.service failed after upgrade Unrecognized subcommand: stop at /usr/bin/webmin line 263

ran the update this AM and webmin would not start, stop or restart, could not get to the web interface, could not run and commnd lines to start/stop/restart

[ ~]# webmin stop
Unrecognized subcommand: stop at /usr/bin/webmin line 263.

systemctl start webmin.service
Job for webmin.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status webmin.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

systemctl status webmin.service
webmin.service - Webmin server daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/webmin.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-05-27 05:55:54 EDT; 21s ago
  Process: 18522 ExecStart=/etc/webmin/.start-init (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Tasks: 1
   CGroup: /system.slice/webmin.service
           └─4674 /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

May 27 05:55:46 server.com systemd[1]: Starting Webmin server daemon...
May 27 05:55:46 server.com .start-init[18522]: Starting Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin
May 27 05:55:47 server.com webmin[18522]: Webmin starting
May 27 05:55:54 server.com .start-init[18522]: Failed to bind to port 10000 : Address already in use
May 27 05:55:54 server.com .start-init[18522]: Could not listen on any ports
May 27 05:55:54 server.com systemd[1]: webmin.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
May 27 05:55:54 server.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Webmin server daemon.
May 27 05:55:54 server.com systemd[1]: Unit webmin.service entered failed state.
May 27 05:55:54 server.com systemd[1]: webmin.service failed.

lsof -i :10000
COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
miniserv. 4674 root    5u  IPv4  39618      0t0  TCP *:ndmp (LISTEN)
miniserv. 4674 root    6u  IPv4  39619      0t0  UDP *:ndmp

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version centos 3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64
1 Like

i saw the release note to try /etc/webmin/restart-by-force-kill

that restarted it BUT i still cant get the web interface to come up

1 Like

I recently installed Webmin 1.991 onto a new instance of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Server at path /usr/local/lib/webmin-1.991 with config file directory /usr/local/etc/webmin. Today I allowed Webmin to upgrade itself to version 1.994, which after the upgrade failed to restart the mini server with error:

~ % systemctl status webmin.service
× webmin.service - Webmin server daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/webmin.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-05-27 21:01:44 UTC; 31s ago
    Process: 1680 ExecStart=/etc/webmin/.start-init (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

This seems quite similar to the originally posted problem, yet might be compounded by the reference in the error message to the default path, /etc/webmin/, rather than the correct config file directory path, /usr/local/etc/webmin.

2 Likes

I got them same problem under 1.994 , if i use the start / stop / restart command it always ends up with

Unrecognized subcommand: * at /usr/bin/webmin line 263.

/*/ stop / start / restart - depends on the command line

I can restart it with

systemctl start webmin.service

Would be glad to get a solution for this.

Can you show the full command that you use and which fails?

Sure,

webmin start
webmin restart
webmin stop

all these end up with

Unrecognized subcommand: start at /usr/bin/webmin line 263.
Unrecognized subcommand: restart at /usr/bin/webmin line 263.

Unrecognized subcommand: stop at /usr/bin/webmin line 263.
  1. Where did you find a reference to use those commands?
  2. What Webmin version do you have installed and how did you install it?
2 Likes

I just started Webmin localhost:10000 on Ubuntu 22.04 and saw that there was an upgrade, which I chose to install. On completion Webmin server failed to restart. Typing the url in the browser I got a message that “Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at localhost:10000.”

I tried sudo systemctl start webmin and got no error message but the browser still cannot connect to it.

Any pointers to documentation on what might have gone wrong?

Thanks.

[SOLVED] Stopped the Webmin service planning to uninstall and reinstall. After about half an hour, I restarted the server and refreshed the pages I had left open and everything was up and running.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.