Webmin>Servers Index "No Route to Host"

Debian 10
Webmin 1.96

Hi guys,
I am running a backup server for my email. I got a notification from client today saying that incoming email isnt working.

In looking at a copy of the bounced email that was sent to their hotmail account, the error in the bounced email says the following…

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

contact@clientdomain.com
host server2.hostdomain.com.au [12.34.56.78]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<contact@clientdomain.com>:
554 5.7.1 <contact@clientdomain.com>: Relay access denied

i note the “relay access denied” error above

On both of my servers i went to Webmin>Servers Index

Server1 had the following issue when i attempted to click on server2

*Failed to connect to server2.hostdomain.com : Failed to lookup IP address for server2.hostdomain.com*

I was positive that its a dns resolution problem on one of the servers…and no surprise its server 1 causing the problem (which is the primary mail server). I have setup server 2 so that it only uses googles dns servers, but server1 is losing those ipaddresses and reverting back to the server1 itself (ie 127.0.0.1)

3 Questions

1. How do i force Webmin>Network Configuration>dns servers to not change whenever system is rebooted or upgraded?

2. will my having a backup mail server network link (ie Webmin>webmin servers index) between two systems still keep working if i disable bind and disable dhcp on server1?
    EDIT…throws an error if i attempt to disable bind
    " Failed to save enabled features : The feature BIND DNS domain cannot be disabled, as it is used by the following virtual servers : hostdomain.com"

3. my hostdomain.com is not being used by any client domains for dns resolution, however, as per question 2, is it required for the webmin servers index link?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Configure it in the right place. If it changes on reboots, your network is being configured by DHCP and you need to update the configuration in the DHCP configuration. Probably in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf