Webmin install failure in FreeBSD 7.2 #SOLVED#

I was just building a brand new FreeBSD 7.2 box (core I7 with AMD64 version. First port installed was webmin after a clean build from iso and added the webmin_enable=“YES” to rc.conf. The webmin install gave me a Permission denied error while running the postinstall scripts, and when I run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin start I get a “Starting Webmin” message and a “Pre-loaded Webmin core” message.

But… Can’t connect to it via web client (from a machine that can ping the new server), and webmin doesn’t appear to be one of the running processes, and the webmin port number I’m using is not being used on the server…

I did basic checks on ethernet and made sure firewall wasn’t blocking anything.

Wasn’t expecting a clean install to die. Always worked like a champ in the past.

This was a quick project, and I didn’t have time to seriously dig in yet to find out what died. Has anyone already had this problem and solved it? First time I played with FreeBSD 7.2… is there a known script problem?



Hrm. So did you install Webmin manually, or via the install script?

Either way, since Webmin isn’t running, that’s odd… what do you see in the webmin log, over in /var/webmin/miniserv.error?


Installed webmin via ports:

cd /usr/ports/systutils/webmin

make install clean

The log at /var/log/webmin/minniserv.error has this sequence repeated after each attempted restart.

miniserv.pl started

PAM authentication enabled

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/auto/SDBM_File/SDBM_File.o: Undefined symbol “sdbm_chkpage”

A clue at least.


I’m not sure I’m following. Did you originally install from ports? Or did you use our install.sh script? We have no control over the ports version of Webmin…It looks like the Perl version on the system is broken (that module is a core Perl module), though I’m not sure if that’s the source of your troubles.

Just loading webmin onto a new FreeBSD based router… nothing advanced, no VM. I just like the webmin interface.

I installed webmin via ports as the first thing after installing FreeBSD 7.2 via CD. Only problem I’ve ever had before was forgetting to add webmin_enable=“YES”, but that’s not the case this time.

I’ll wipe the machine and reinstall the OS, then do a full update before loading webmin.

I’m not aware of a webmin install script, only the VM script.

I just reinstalled from scratch, same error. I updated the ports this time before installing webmin.

I’ll notify the port maintainer.


I also noticed I left part of the error message out. It should be:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/mach/auto/SDBM_File/SDBM_File.o: Undefined symbol “sdbm_chkpage”

OK… here’s the scoop. I talked to the port maintainer, and there appears to be a problem in the most recent perl port. He’s working on that. In the meantime, I have a less sophisticated fix, but it works:

If you have installed FreeBSD AMD 7.2, tried to install webmin by port, and it won’t start here’s how to fix it:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8

make deinstall

pkg_add -r perl

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin start

Basically, remove the broken port and install perl via package. This -might- break other installed apps you’ve instaled, so do this before cluttering up your machine. And yes, I know packages are for kiddies, but too bad, it works for now and I can move on and spend my time launching bottle rockets with the kids this weekend.