Webmin install fails on clean RHEL 9.1

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version RHEL 9.1
Webmin version failed to install

Tried to install Webmin on a clean RHEL 9. with the instructions from the website.

The setup-repos.sh downloaded ok, but then I got this:

sh setup-repos.sh
Setup Webmin official repository? (y/N) y
Downloading Webmin key …
… done
Error: Cannot setup repositories on this system.

You’re going to have to try to be more precise about what you’re doing

I imagine that you (= your user) have the right to set up repositories, correct?

The availability of the script setup-repos.sh is very recent

When I installed Webmin on a fresh Rocky Linux 9.1 system in mid-January, the previous Webmin website had instructions for how to do set up things manually, which you could still try to follow (instead of using setup-repos.sh)

See https://web.archive.org/web/20230119143717/https://www.webmin.com/rpm.html

I thought I was clear.

Clean install of RHEL 9.1, dnf update (forgot to mention that).

Then I followed the instructions right at the top of the Webmin Download page.

" The simplest and best way to get Webmin is to use automatic setup-repos.sh script to configure official repositories on your RHEL or Debian derivative systems. It can be done in two easy steps:"

This was done as root, so yeah the right to do whatever.

I ended up doing it manually - mentioned in another persons thread, but I wanted to alert staff to the fact that something needs checking.

This was just a fault report, not a cry for help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, sorry, my bad, I had heard it as a cry for help :slightly_smiling_face:

(It’s strange that the script would fail on RHEL 9.1, but the script is no doubt a work in progress)

I did a test install on Rocky 9.1 yesterday (to try to reproduce another reported problem), and I didn’t have any issues.

So, currently have no way to reproduce it. Seems likely to be a network problem, maybe? I guess we should give a better error message if something fails.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.