Webmin gone? Can't see menus under it

Dear friends,

Webmin on my server acts weirdly. There is only Servers menu on Webmin tab and Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL) under it. There is no other menu or submenu in Webmin tab. It happened after I upgraded Virtualmin to 3.89 version.

Do you know any way to re-install virtualmin without keeping the server down and formatting, installing virtualmin and then installing every site one by one?

Thanks in advance.

Howdy,

Which Linux distribution/version are you using there?

-Eric

Hello, Eric.

It’s CentOS Linux 5.7 with 1.570 Webmin version and 3.89 GPL Virtualmin version.

Regards

Howdy,

Okay, what output do you see when running this command:

rpm -qa | grep webmin

Hello,

I get the below output:

webmin-1.556-1
webmin-1.560-1
webmin-1.561-1
webmin-1.562-1
webmin-1.570-1

Regards

Hrm, something looks very wrong there :slight_smile:

You should only have one Webmin version installed, not 5.

Are you just using Webmin on that server? Or do you also have Virtualmin installed?

Also, how are you performing the Webmin upgrades?

-Eric

Yeah, I also think something is wrong with the server =)

I have installed it with virtualmin. It used to work normally till the last virtualmin upgrade. I lost internet connection to the server and I had to open virtualmin interface again. When I signed in again, I noticed that webmin was gone. Also some functions from virtualmin was gone.

I use yum update command on the ssh interface but when I see that there is a package available on virtualmin interface, I install it too.

What do I need to do in order to make the webmin work normally?

Regards

Well, it looks like a problem may have been brewing for a little while now, as there should never be more than one Webmin version installed at a time.

However, I think I gave you the wrong command to run above… it’s not “webmin” that we want to grep for, it’s “wbm”.

What output do you see from this command:

rpm -qa | grep wbm

The last command gives the below output:

wbm-virtualmin-dav-3.5-1
wbm-virtualmin-mailman-6.1-2
wbm-virtualmin-registrar-2.0-1
wbm-php-pear-1.5-1
wbm-virtualmin-htpasswd-2.5-1
wbm-virtualmin-init-2.2-2
wbm-virtualmin-awstats-4.6-2
wbm-virtual-server-3.89.gpl-1
wbm-security-updates-4.0-1
wbm-ruby-gems-1.4-1
wbm-virtualmin-svn-4.9-1

Regards

Hello, andreychek.

Do you have any idea how to solve the problem?

Regards

This problem is almost certainly not serious. You definitely should not think, “I know, I’ll reinstall Virtualmin!” as your first instinct when seeing problems like this. Virtualmin is almost certainly fine…this is a configuration problem.

First up: Are you sure you’re logging in as the root user? This sounds like what you would see if you logged in as a Virtualmin virtual server account user.

Second: There was a bug in older versions of Virtualmin that would allow a user to assign ownership of a virtual server to the root user…which is nonsensical, but it would lead to the behavior you’re seeing (i.e. Webmin would have few or no modules available, because choosing to make it an owner of a domain gave it only the permissions that a domain owner would have).

Check the file /etc/webmin/webmin.acl to see what the root: line looks like. I’m gonna guess it only has Virtualmin modules listed…which indicates the root user was made into a virtual server owner.

If that’s the case, you’d want to edit it and change that line to:

root: acl adsl-client apache at backup-config bacula-backup bandwidth bind8 burner cfengine change-user cluster-copy cluster-cron cluster-passwd cluster-shell cluster-software cluster-useradmin cluster-usermin cluster-webmin cpan cron custom dfsadmin dhcpd dnsadmin dovecot exim exports fdisk fetchmail file filter firewall frox fsdump grub heartbeat htaccess-htpasswd idmapd inetd init inittab ipfilter ipfw ipsec jabber krb5 ldap-client ldap-server ldap-useradmin lilo logrotate lpadmin lvm mailboxes mailcap majordomo man mon mount mysql net nis openslp package-updates pam pap passwd phpini postfix postgresql ppp-client pptp-client pptp-server proc procmail proftpd pserver qmailadmin quota raid samba sarg sendmail sentry servers shell shorewall smart-status smf software spam squid sshd status stunnel syslog-ng syslog system-status tcpwrappers telnet time tunnel updown useradmin usermin vgetty webalizer webmin webmincron webminlog wuftpd xinetd virtual-server virtualmin-svn virtualmin-mailman virtualmin-dav virtualmin-htpasswd virtualmin-awstats virtualmin-registrar security-updates ruby-gems virtualmin-init php-pear ajaxterm backup-config change-user webmincron usermin webminlog webmin servers acl bacula-backup init passwd quota mount fsdump inittab ldap-client ldap-useradmin logrotate mailcap mon pam proc at cron sentry package-updates software man syslog syslog-ng system-status useradmin virtualmin-init security-updates virtualmin-awstats apache bind8 pserver dhcpd dovecot exim fetchmail frox jabber ldap-server majordomo mysql openslp postfix postgresql proftpd procmail qmailadmin mailboxes sshd samba sendmail spam squid sarg virtualmin-mailman virtualmin-svn virtual-server wuftpd webalizer adsl-client bandwidth ipsec krb5 firewall exports nis net xinetd inetd pap ppp-client pptp-client pptp-server stunnel shorewall tcpwrappers virtualmin-registrar idmapd filter burner grub lilo raid lvm fdisk lpadmin smart-status time vgetty cluster-passwd cluster-copy cluster-cron cluster-shell cluster-software cluster-usermin cluster-useradmin cluster-webmin cfengine heartbeat shell custom file tunnel phpini php-pear cpan htaccess-htpasswd ruby-gems telnet status ajaxterm updown virtualmin-dav virtualmin-htpasswd vmcom-licenses backup-config change-user webmincron usermin vmcom-licenses webminlog webmin servers acl bacula-backup init passwd quota mount fsdump inittab ldap-client ldap-useradmin logrotate mailcap mon pam proc at cron sentry package-updates software man syslog syslog-ng system-status useradmin virtualmin-init security-updates virtualmin-awstats apache bind8 pserver dhcpd dovecot exim fetchmail frox jabber ldap-server majordomo mysql openslp postfix postgresql proftpd procmail qmailadmin mailboxes sshd samba sendmail spam squid sarg virtualmin-mailman virtualmin-svn virtual-server wuftpd webalizer adsl-client bandwidth ipsec krb5 firewall exports nis net xinetd inetd pap ppp-client pptp-client pptp-server stunnel shorewall tcpwrappers virtualmin-registrar idmapd filter burner grub lilo raid lvm fdisk lpadmin smart-status time vgetty cluster-passwd cluster-copy cluster-cron cluster-shell cluster-software cluster-usermin cluster-useradmin cluster-webmin cfengine heartbeat shell custom file tunnel phpini php-pear cpan htaccess-htpasswd ruby-gems telnet status ajaxterm updown virtualmin-dav virtualmin-htpasswd virtualmin-support

You may still need to change some stuff in the Webmin Users module, if the ACLs are wrong. But, making this change and restarting Webmin will probably bring the root user back to normal. Maybe.

We’d also want to know what version of Virtualmin you were using before the upgrade, because the bug that allowed users to change root to a virtual server owner was supposed to be fixed ages ago.

Oh, an the having multiple Webmin versions installed is a symptom of an RPM database issue, I think. Transactions aren’t completing, which leads to the last step not happening. I don’t know off-hand how to fix that, but I’m pretty sure it is not the cause of the symptoms you’re seeing in Virtualmin.

Hi, Joe!

I’m deeply grateful for the help and the fix! The line only had virtual-server. I changed the line and the webmin submenus are back!

You mentioned that I might still need to configure webmin users. I see the sites’ usernames as webmin users. Is it normal or I should just keep root as webmin user?

The version of the Virtualmin was the version prior to the latest 3.89 version.

One more question: I used to see CSF menu on the Webmin tab under Servers Menu. How can I know the string for it that I need to add to the webmin.acl file so that it also shows up again?

EDIT: I added csf to the line and it showed up.

Once again thanks for the help!

Best Regards